Pre-Dive workout to help prevent DCS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Jerm

Contributor
Reaction score
Rocky Mountains.... wishing I was near some good d
# of dives
50 - 99
Stubbled accross an article by Men's fitness that summorized an article from the Journal of Physiology, stating that a good strenuous excercise performed 24 hours before a dive of moderate depth (around 60 feet) can greatly decrease the chance of getting decompression sickness. According to this Journal of Physiology, excercise 24 hour prior to a dive, make bubble formation in the vains more difficult upon decompression! Eliminating this bubble formation and you've got no DCS! This article sites a reference of a study conducted with rats that confirms the effect of aerobic excercise prior to decompression. Here is the link for both articles

http://jp.physoc.org/cgi/content/ab...1ed4fe13c2a22bafceba7292&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

http://jp.physoc.org/cgi/content/fu...INDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=HWCIT

Curious to hear what everyone thinks about this. If it truely works, this information could save some lives, and it doesn't take that much effort. The articles clearly state the most effective prevention to DCS was the workout timing (24 hours prior to dive) not really the frequency of workouts. Lots easier to tell someone to workout once vs getting them to commit to a routine. :)

All information regarding your health you should scrutinize very carefully. What little I have read of Cameron Martz indicates he knows what he is talking about, but please just consider that his education is in sales and business.

I'm not debunking his book, website, or methodology... just stating for everyone's benefit that unless his direct sources are well-researched, sound, proven techniques created by fitness and/or medical professionals... his resources could be unsound. And if you have any limitations or special needs... you need to find your information elsewhere and review carefully with your physician.

That said... it sounds like decent material for divers.

ehuber:
All information regarding your health you should scrutinize very carefully. What little I have read of Cameron Martz indicates he knows what he is talking about, but please just consider that his education is in sales and business.

I'm not debunking his book, website, or methodology... just stating for everyone's benefit that unless his direct sources are well-researched, sound, proven techniques created by fitness and/or medical professionals... his resources could be unsound. And if you have any limitations or special needs... you need to find your information elsewhere and review carefully with your physician.

That said... it sounds like decent material for divers.

ehuber,

Thanks for the warning. I'll be sure to watch out for his shady sales tactics, such as finding others to go onto a web board and take pot shots at other authors.

Cameron

I'm not sure I understand where I've taken potshots at you at all.

I've stated several times that your sources' methodology might be sound and your writing may be just fine. Academically, however, I do see some issues with your background and particularly some suggestions that you are an expert in a field in which you have no true background minus a two-day certification workshop.

I will not take this personally; however, since I have nothing to sell, nothing to lose, and nothing at stake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom