Pre-dive hydration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Readers:

DCS

As TS and M states, [and I in my posting], the intravascular fluid will be changed by drinking fluid. This will have a bigger effect on Doppler-detectable gas bubbles. DCS is the result [probably] of extravascular bubbles. This study did not address this aspect. [Many scientists simply do not know this.] Therefore, without any cases of DCS, the question remains unanswered, although few would probably doubt that drinking water is good for divers and drinking alcohol is bad [since it depletes the body’s water stores.]

Full Paper

Gene Hobbs was kind enough to send to me the full paper. To my surprise, the authors did detect quite a few bubbles in the nonhydrated divers on their dive protocol - more than I would have suspected with such a long safety stop.

The study is still deficient in subjects, but this will probably be amended in the future. It is the habit of these authors to first publish a paper with a few subjects and later a bigger paper with more individuals. We will just need to wait.

As far as significance goes, remember that statistics can only demonstrate that the data are different – more than random chance. Statistics cannot tell you that the interpretation, or experimental design, is correct.

Dr Deco :doctor:

1300mL of fluid with 157 meq.1^-1 Na+ and 23g.1^-1 carbohydrate (Osmolality = 324 mOsml1^-1)
Holy cow, a "real answer" from Gene. Ladies and Gents, this isn't something you see every day...

Now if only I still had my notes from my high school AP Chemistry class handy...:eyebrow:
Or the formula for Gatorade. :D

As far as significance goes, remember that statistics can only demonstrate that the data are different – more than random chance. Statistics cannot tell you that the interpretation, or experimental design, is correct.

VERY, very true, and it's tough to see experimental design/interpretation in an abstract! Thanks for pointing that out.

Or the formula for Gatorade. :D
Which I never believed was the ideal hydration beverage. On the link given above, it certainly does not look like it. Compared to the best on the chart: Pedialyte™ (Ross) - it's low in salt and high in sugar. May as well stick with my salted kool-aide as that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom