pre-1970 fatal accident in La Jolla Canyon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simnia

Reaction score
In a scuba course I took in 1970, our instructor told us about a diver who was last seen swimming at high speed into the depths of La Jolla Canyon off in San Diego County, California, evidently overcome by nitrogen narcosis. I believe his body was never recovered. Has anyone ever heard of this story, or have a reference to it? I would like to read the details.

No, but I went to La Jolla (Hoya) 3 years ago. If you go half a mile down the beach where that big rock face is there are a ton of seals. If you go to underwatertimes.com there was a sighting of a Great White a couple of weeks ago. I won't be going back there. Sorry to hijack!!!

Although a diver in the Midwest since 1961-62, I was certified in California when I moved here in 1969. I remember reading a book (while coming out to CA on the train) about great whites. It mentioned a fatal great white attack on a diver in the La Jolla area during the 60's. That's the only diver incident I remember from that era. I think it may have been proven later to be false.

Yes, I heard that one. I have no idea how true it is...
And several others over the years involving La Jolla one way or another.
The only other one that had odd details I can remember was a case of borrowed scuba gear and a first/last dive there (in the cove, not the canyon).
Rick

robbcayman:
No, but I went to La Jolla (Hoya) 3 years ago. If you go half a mile down the beach where that big rock face is there are a ton of seals. If you go to underwatertimes.com there was a sighting of a Great White a couple of weeks ago. I won't be going back there. Sorry to hijack!!!

the shark was spotted about a mile from the shores at a place called childrens pool. its actually a seal pool, and the shark was after some lunch. i wouldnt be afraid

California Diver:
the shark was spotted about a mile from the shores at a place called childrens pool. its actually a seal pool, and the shark was after some lunch. i wouldnt be afraid

Great White's aren't confined to one area or another. If a Great White's within a mile who's to say he wouldn't come a mile over. If he saw you on the bottom you might resemble a seal then he hits you and it could be fatal.

I am less afraid of tigers and bulls. White sharks are just huge and intimidating and scare the crap out of me. If your not afraid then I respect your courage or stupidity. :05:

I've dived Catalina for 36+ years. We have great whites all around the island due to the sea lions and harbor seals here. I have yet to see a GWS while underwater. Those of my friends who have say they (the GWS) split as soon as the diver's bubbles reach their ears. One friend has tried to film a resident GWS off the island for quite a while and despite seeing it several times, it takes off quickly when he approaches.

Note: this does not apply to the GWS elsewhere (Australia, South Africa, Guadalupe, the Red Triangle).

Great White lunch:
http://www.pbase.com/zymans/image/36891676
(I hope hot linking is OK in this forum. I didn't see any rules against it.)

Yes, I know all about the seals. This discussion did get off track, so I'll pose a similar question: Our dive instructor in 1970 also showed us a black-and-white photo of a guy with a spear from a speargun sticking all the way through his head that was the result of an accident. Miraculously, the man lived. I'd be interested in reading about the details of that accident, too, if anybody has seen or heard of a reference to that. Google wasn't much help there. I'm pretty sure the photo was from a book.

As for the 1950s shark attack at La Jolla Cove, I have the old Skin Diver magazine article about that. I can post a scan of it if there's interest and if I have time.

robbcayman:

simnia:
As for the 1950s shark attack at La Jolla Cove, I have the old Skin Diver magazine article about that. I can post a scan of it if there's interest and if I have time.

If that La Jolla Cove incident isn't listed on the DFG website that I gave a link to, how
about sending a copy of the SkinDiver article to Carrie Wilson so that it can get added?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom