powerhead, what is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fruit_n_1

Reaction score
hi guys, maybe someone of u knows what it's, how it works?
how can i improve the speargun power or is there any kind of weapon, more powerfull than a regular speargun?
thanx.

A powerhead is a device you attach to the business end (sometimes placing it over the point, but usually replacing the point) that contains a cartridge of one size or another, depending on the power head. It is most effective when used as a bang stick, actually striking the target without firing the spear, but jamming it against the target. When the powerhead strikes the target, the bullet is fired. In many jurisdictions, powerheads are only legal to use in self defense.

You increase the power of your gun by getting more powerful bands.

Walter, thanx for response.
do u have any links explaining the mechanism?
trust me, i'm not gonna eat sharks (by jewish religion it isn't "kosher" food :wink: )but i would like to have 1 just for self defense.
thanx again.

Not understanding where you're going with this one. A Powerhead is simply a chamber for a cartrige that uses the spearpoint for the firing pin. You put it on the end of your spear when you need to take care of business. Typically, it's used for self defense against a shark that gets too frisky, but in some areas it's allowed to use to fish (not here, though).

What are you trying to do?

ReefGuy:
A Powerhead is simply a chamber for a cartrige that uses the spearpoint for the firing pin.

Sometimes, but not in most cases. Usually, you would unscrew the point and screw on the powerhead.

fruit_n_1:
......or is there any kind of weapon, more powerfull than a regular speargun?
thanx.

Well in Southeast Asian Pacific waters they have been using dynamite. Seems to be effective because there are no longer any fish on those reefs anymore. Kinda sad, albeit stupid.

hi again!
so Friends, should i understand from the said above the powerhead's something i just screw on the shaft's end? is that all i've to do?
should't i place into it a patron?
thanx again.

What's a patron?

Powerheads are very dangerous if you don't know how to handle them, be very careful. They are also illegal in many areas, check to make sure they are legal where you live before you get one. In many areas where they are legal, they can only be legally used for defense, not for hunting.

If you need more power, get stronger bands, or a longer gun. It's also helpful to spear for some time with a pole spear or an Hawaiian sling. You get much less power with them, but they force you to learn to stalk. Improving your stalking techniques will improve your success rate much more than more power. If you need a powerhead to get the fish you want, the fish is too big, leave it alone.

A power head is the mechanism that holds a cartridge (.223 Cal.) for instance. Once placed in the powerhead it is used in various ways well described above. Many forms of them are illegal without special permits, however they are perfectly legal to use for taking fish in federal waters, usually commercially. They are also fine to use in self defence. Large fish would be another good and perfectly legal example.

Walter, saing "patron" i've mentioned a bullet.
donno what level of experience i've, but i've spent 3 yeard in israeli army, travelling between lebanon & gaza.
4 months ago 2 white sharks've been caught during a week here in mediterranian.
i need a powerhead just for self defense.
my question was if the powerhead's a kind of a mechanism i place a bullet inside.
thanx again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom