powerhead "best practices"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manni-yunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For those of you that do carry one or see the need for them. What is the list of "best practices".

Do you keep it in a pocket then screw it on the tip of a spear if/when needed?

Do you keep it on a 26" pole and carry it in you rhand while hunting?

Do you keep it already screwed onto a free spear - then load a gun with it (with no tag line attached)?

Since it is the expanding gasses that make it effective - do you/can you use a blank for added safety (or have I overthough this one?)?

Ive never used one but I want to understand how to transport one safely, and get ready to use it ( as a last case resort) in a quick manner if needed.

Looking at all options for next summer. Although we ar enot new to spearfishing - carrying something "just in case" will be new to us.

Thank You!

Although I own one, I've never had to use it and frequently forget it. However, when I carry mine, it is attached to my BC D-ring with monofilament fishing line that I can break in case I need it. However, I don't use the traditional powerhead like. Instead, I use a PPD, sold by Ray Odor in Florida (Spearfishing Supplies by Ray Odor). If I ever had to use it, I would just attach it to my spear tip and unclip the quick release line.

We carry them (Ray Odor PPDs) for big jacks when we go deep. Stop by bass pro shop and get an elastic shotgun shell holder for your arm. PPDs are not firearms as they have no firing pin. Also, they do not screw down onto the tip. They just slip on. They are the fastest and easiest to load but they have to hit at nearly 90* to detonate. Frankly I'd rather freeshaft a shark than use a PPD. I've seen a shark hit by a PPD go berserk and with its brain obviously scrambled it bit and swam at everything in the most powerful and erratic display I've ever seen. We typically either back the shark down or get out of the water if its aggressive and won't back off. Use a real bullet, the gas does alot but an entry hole makes it even more effective.

Attachments

• Ray Odor PPDs.JPG
    Ray Odor PPDs.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,086

Back
Top Bottom