Power underwater cutting tools?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DCBC, thanks!!

>C025 Underwater Cutoff Saw, 14" wheel diameter<

You're right, that's extreme overkill. I don't think I'd be able to fit it around some of the colonies! What I need is something about the size of the Dremel tool.

DCBC, thanks!!

>C025 Underwater Cutoff Saw, 14" wheel diameter<

You're right, that's extreme overkill. I don't think I'd be able to fit it around some of the colonies! What I need is something about the size of the Dremel tool.

They're great for removing concrete docking pillars... LOL

We had a small pneumatic rotary tool at my grandpa s machine shop about the size of a dremel. But it needed to be lubed also required a decent compressor to run. The one for a nail gun didn't work too well. May be best off just using a hacksaw blade.

>We had a small pneumatic rotary tool at my grandpa s machine shop about the size of a dremel. But it needed to be lubed also required a decent compressor to run. The one for a nail gun didn't work too well. May be best off just using a hacksaw blade.<

Untamed, thanks! I did actually see a small pneumatic rotary tool at Home Depot, but I was worried about the oil. A ton of bubbles might be a problem as well. I have actually used a hacksaw blade before for some of the large whorling Montiporas, but it is SLOW going.

Im not sure how well a battery op tool would work. May need to hack it to remove the battery Pack and waterproof it. Depending on the hardness some files have an edge on the side. Not exactly a fine cut. But can remove some material

>May need to hack it to remove the battery Pack and waterproof it.<

That might be possible as I only need it to cut for very short duration use. I might be able to seal the whole thing in some kind of epoxy. The tricky part would be how to seal the shaft.

I think you maybe over thinking this. Pretend you had NO ELECTRICITY! Now, what to do, what to do?? Hey, maybe a garden pruner! A heck saw! Hell, most coral is VERY fragile, can you just break it off?

I think it better to remove the coral from the tank, then you have some options...but what ever you think best....

Nice tank BTW, but it's starting to look a bit crowded... maybe time for a larger tank?

granted I know zilch about pruning coral, but have cut hard brittle stuff, and a pressure based cutter (Pruner, loper) could possible send fractures in a way you don;t want them to go. practically a hacksaw or the side of a file would be my best guess...but I would like the challenge of waterproofing a battery powered dremel simply because one day I'd like to try and build my own ROV...sorry back to topic... could you take a part one of one of the toy subs and use that, also found this Empire Magnetics Inc. - Article: Waterproof Motors Make Waves and this Make - Waterproof R/C Motor Shaft

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom