Power heads/CO2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds fishy to me. Normally, even large fish are knocked unconscious by a head or gill plate shot. If a large shark is hit amidships it sometimes will swim off seemingly unimpaired.

Re: the 24" barrel; Velocity and calculated energy of the bullet is increased in proportion to barrel length. Not to compare apples to oranges so let's say that the long barrel does provide a higher number. The increase in speed is only about 140 fps. I'm not going to calculate the added energy, it's rather small. The .223 is still 'hotter' than any generally available pistol round. Granted, the special purpose ammo are closer to the .223 level if a bit expensive. My practice is to discard ctgs which have been wet.

Bottom line: it's good that you mentioned this. Joe should be made aware of the options. However, I'm not sure all power heads which use pistol ammo are strong enough to handle the hot rounds. If the pressure is not too high should be OK. If the spent case is hard to remove then go back to a standard ctg.

In a device as short as a powerhead, it's better to just go by the actual amount [weight] of powder in the round, as it's the gas bubble that accounts for most of the concussive effect.
The type of powder & different burn rates makes a small difference as well, but not enough to scratch a bald spot trying to calculate.

You see the old shark darts on ebay once in a while, can't say I'd be too keen on trusting one myself.

In a device as short as a powerhead, it's better to just go by the actual amount [weight] of powder in the round, as it's the gas bubble that accounts for most of the concussive effect.

That's a tough call. Maximum loads for the .223Rem run about 27 gr (Dupont). Max loads for the .44MAG vary widely and use slower burning powders. Range is 10-27 gr (Dupont).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom