Pouring Dive Weight Moulds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never done this, but it was suggested to do this outdoors with the wind at your back or use a fan to blow the fumes into the neighbors yard.

The fumes are one of the reasons I've never messed with this....

I just figured that breathing in the fumes wasn't that good for the body compared to just buying a couple weights already made.

just my opinion...

but at the same time I think it'd be cool to make your own. so I understand the intrigue

I collect the lead that has got lost by fishermen.
Weigh it into plastic bags .
I do 500 grm and 1 kilo.
Then put into clean dry tins that you would have left over from say tinned tomatoes,heat this up with the trusty blow torch ,tin held by vise grips,once cooled down cut away tin with tin snips then hammer edges smooth and you are done.
These work great for trim weights in the rear pockets of BCD, or adding to pockets of BCD,s when doing weight checks etc,this is a temporary set up prior to setting up weight belt correctly for students.
Where can one get a mould from and what are they made of?

Don't do it. The lead fumes go everywhere. If you google lead and King Neptune you can read about a company producing diving weights that made 4 city blocks a superfund site. I know you are producing less but without the appropriate equipment you are not doing yourself or the planet any good.

The brothers that owned King Neptune died of lead poisoning as I understand it. Spend the dough on weight produced properly.

Thanks to everyone's suggestions I have successfully poured my dive weights. They look really good as well.

I am using a propane camp stove and aluminium pot for now. I would at some point like to upgrade to a better melting pot, but this works for now.

I found lead at a variety of sources. Here in Victoria we have a website called Used Victoria.Com. A wanted ad there resulted in a few hundred pounds. That and used tire weights from garages. I had a challenge finding a place that didn't have a line up of people waiting for their lead, but in the end, perserverence paid off.

So, thanks to everyone for their help.

Tony

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom