Posture, neck discomfort while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are swimming around in a cold, nasty quarry, you already got something tight and less than comfortable on your neck. In addition, in bad visibility, it is doubtful that you are going to be swimming fast (or you would be crashing into things), so a somewhat heads up trim is not going to slow you down (much).

Minor dull neck pain is something I live with regularly. I go to a chiropractor and he keeps it in good check for me. It's nothing really medically serious just weak muscles. Anyways when I dive I feel like I aggravate my neck a lot. I feel like I am always looking up in the water while being relatively horizontal. Kind of like the position your neck would be if you were standing and you looked straight at the sky. I thought some of my discomfort was due to my head hitting my tank but I'm not sure. When I'm swimming straight forward or looking down I'm good. To compensate I actually just kind of turn my whole body sideways to what I want look at and that seems to work pretty well. I'm comfortable swimming this way. Am I doing something wrong? Could it be a problem with the positioning of my tank on my bcd?

Read the first page of this thread. When diving you want be comfortable. If being horizontal causes you discomfort you can change your position to suit.

THE "PERFECT ( being horizontal ) TRIM" HOAX

If I want to be upside down to look at something or just because its fun, thats perfect too.

Perfect trim for what is required.... :)

JIM WHICH WAY UP.jpg

I had a similar condition.

In my case I was carrying all my weight (2x4 and 4x3) in a belt (I wear a 5mm full wetsuit).

With some advice from a very trusted instructor, I added two trim pockets to my tank strap and moved 2x3 up there.

That changed my posture in the water column and greatly reduced the pain and fatigue I had been experiencing.

Trim – The Good, The Bad and The really Ugly by Vikki Batten

Within a certain range, the height of your tank on your back is a matter of personal choice. The higher the tank is on your body, the more the weight of the tank helps you get horizontal. The price of this trim advantage is the potential for impinging your neck/head on the tank valve and regulator. It sounds like you would be happier with a lower tank. There's nothing wrong with making that choice.

Regarding the great trim controversy. It's important to remember that you're engaged in recreational diving. You're under no constraints regarding other people's idea of how you should be oriented in the water. If you're more comfortable with a slight tilt and aren't covering a lot of ground, it's nobody's business if you enjoy a leisurely dive at a slightly less efficient angle. As long as it's safe, you're staying off the bottom, and not inconveniencing anyone else, your definition of "recreational" should prevail.

One suggestion: you mentioned that you had to look ahead to see your buddy. Especially in low visibility, it's best for buddies to be side-by-side. When buddies swim with one in front of the other in low visibility, there's a good chance of getting separated the first time the trailing buddy stops to look at something interesting.

Best wishes,
Great comments about trim. Dive and let dive.
I should add that when the flat people think they’re flat, they’re actually not very flat.

If a certain trim routinely hurts your neck, it's not DIR for YOU.

"Good" trim is is a tool. One of many as you negotiate the water column.
It makes me sad when I hear new divers fret about not attaining their idea of perfect trim. Trim is a means, not an end in recreational diving. A new diver's goals should be staying safe and having fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom