Post-scary dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smolderinglime

Registered
Reaction score
I posted a thread here a few months ago about my first dive. I was pulled in by a sudden wave on my very first dive before getting my cert. It was a bit of a traumatic experience, but I did my two dives that day at a different location. A week after that I did my last two dives and got my cert. Well, I was a bit shaken up by it, but got over it...or so I thought! I keep having dreams of almost drowning or diving and being sucked into the ocean. Sometimes when I look at photos of people diving or just even the beach the incident comes back to me. I want to join my school's diving club, but these dreams do make me feel a little scared. Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience or advice on things like this.

Thanks!

You may get some advice about jumping back on the horse that threw you. And it may work. Anxiety about going back into a situation that had a negative effect on you is normal for anyone. However recurring dreams and the anxiety you feel just looking at photos sounds like more than just a case of simple anxiety. It may be you are experiencing a little post traumatic stress. While yours does not sound severe if left untreated it could develop into something with more severe consequences. If you were to panic underwater and endanger yourself or another person it would not be a good situation. My suggestion is to talk to someone familiar with the condition. And yes I mean a professional in the mental health field. It does not mean you are crazy or weird. Just that you encountered a situation where you are finding difficulties in dealing with the after effects. I went thru a similar period after an auto accident years ago. Had trouble getting back behind the wheel without constantly looking in the rearview mirror(hit in the rear by drunk driver). To the point where until I dealt with it I almost hit someone else in the rear because I was so concerned about being hit that I did not keep my attention on the road ahead. While being awre of a potentially dangerous situation is not bad in itself. Being preoccupied with it can have more severe consequences because you don't see what's in front of you. And jumping back on the horse as far as diving goes when stressed is a recipe for disaster. Stress creates anxiety which can lead to panic. Stress can lead to problems and those lead to accidents. Talk to someone and do what is necessary to remove this stressor from yourself. Ignoring it could have long term unforseen consequences.

Wow, I am sorry to hear about that! I don't really know how to get over that but I wish you the best of luck in doing so. If you can overcome that I'm sure you will love diving.

Sometimes when on land and thinking about being 100' deep I feel a bit uncomfortable with the idea of having the equivalent of a 10 story building's worth of water between me and the air. But when I'm 100' deep I feel like, "This is where I belong", and wish I could stay there longer.

I hope you get it figured out.

I don't really have any advice either, but I know what you mean. I had a scary beach dive attempt during certification, and it completely put me off beach diving for years. I've since made 6 or 7 perfectly fine SoCal beach dives, totally without incident, but heading into the surf zone scares me silly every darned time, even when it's just little knee-slappers!

I figure once I hit a certain ratio of successful-to-uncsuccessful beach dives, I'll finally stop being anxious - it does seem to get a bit less scary each time, but I've got a ways to go.

Yeah, getting back on the horse that threw ya is how us cowboys were raised, and many of us survived those days - even tho the horse related attitude had some of its own dangers. Some big differences, tho. The Sea is a lot bigger than any horse.

Shore diving off of Calf can be challenging. Never done it, but I've read enough about some of it to be very cautious even now. As a newbie, wow.

Look for a Inst that you can discuss this with comfortably and look into boat diving with him. It has its own dangers, but not as bad as big waves on a solid beach.

And professional assistance in the anxiety area just might be a good idea as suggested. Good luck :thumb:

I would definitely go with Jim's advice. You don't want to go out there and just keep diving hoping you will "get over it". It is certainly, a recipe for disaster. Additionally, who wants to go out while they are stressed - that doesn't sound like any fun. Go visit with someone then get out there and enjoy your dives! like your supposed to.:D

smolderinglime:
I was a bit shaken up by it, but got over it...or so I thought! I keep having dreams of almost drowning or diving and being sucked into the ocean.
As for me, I had quite a bit of anxiety over most of the dives I have done in new situations -- first time in a new lake, first time with a new buddy I just met, first time in the ocean ...

It used to be that I couldnt sleep the night before because I had so much on my mind. I realized that for me it was what I would refer to as 'performance anxiety'. (I am not a mental health professional.) I just know that when I am new at something, I study it like crazy, and think about every aspect of it, including what could go wrong. I too have dreamed of bad things happening while diving -- usually whatever I have been reading about most recently. :)

I think in the long run it makes me better, but it does generate a significant amount of anxiety in the short run.

You may need to talk with a professional about your anxiety. It may also be helpful to try and do a number of simple dives in the best circumstances you can find with someone you are comfortable with. Just to get more comfortable with diving itself and your ability as a diver. It will give you confidence.

I made a couple of dives at the same spot that I did my OW checkouts, and did a few other dives at places with better vis and very low pressure. Then I went to Cozumel for a week. I made my first two dives shore dives just to be more relaxed before getting on the boats.

Just what has worked for me,

Willie

I remember your original post. In that thread I suggested, half-jokingly, that it was nothing a week on a tropical reef couldn't cure. I think the above advice is good--seek out professional advice if you think you need it. But diving in calm clear water may instill a sense of serenity and confidence that will erase your anxieties better than a therapist and, perhaps, less expensively.

Since the incident took place during a surf entry, I would suggest getting comfortable with the shorebreak. Try spending some time at the beach without scuba equipment (although a wetsuit would be good if you do it before summer) going in and out of the shore break. Maybe try some body surfing. Without all the equipment it is much easier to maintain your balance and you can learn how to deal with the force of the waves.

When you feel comfortable with the waves, try another beach entry in smaller surf.
While getting knocked down can be disorienting; if you have your mask on & regulator in, you just roll with the blow & come back up. Some other tips for surf entrys:

1. Use one hand to hold your mask & regulator in place when going under a wave.
2. Deflate your BC until your are either out past the shorebreak or too deep to walk. It makes it easier to get under a wave.
3. Always face the waves, if you can't walk forward, shuffle sideways.
4. Dive under big waves as the approach. The force is greatest at the top, so the lower you go the less it will effect you.

It will be worth the effort. SoCal has some great beach diving.

I am new to Scuba board, but let me give this a try. One of the best ways to learn to be comfortable in surf is do do something in it that is fun by taking advantage of it's power, IE. surfing of some type. Surfing also gets your mind into a mode where you are learning how to analyze the waves and currents in a calm, analytical way, in an environment that can be pretty "violent" and fast changing.

Learning to ride a surf board may not interest you as it requires years of, almost daily, commitment, especially as you get older. BUT learning to surf a small sit-on-top kayak is very quick and easy. You should find someone qualified to teach you, but you will learn the basics in a few hours and be surfing white water and small waves the first day. Essentially, the smaller the boat, the more manouverable, but the larger, the more stable. Give it a try! When you understand the surf, fear goes away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom