Post Hydro Maintenance and Rust...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacLeod

Reaction score
I have never hydro'ed steels, but in the past I have asked several people about the process of filling a steel tank up with water. It seemed intuitive that this would create a rust situation. I was told "no" not where they go bkz they "dry it out really well after afterwards". Is this true? Again intuitively it would seem like you would need to tumble your tanks after *every* hydro...is this wrong?

How expensive is it generally to get your tanks tumbled...and is it a particularly involved/timely process to tumble your own tanks?

What with all these stories of PST tank internal rust problems...is it a good practice to remove your valves and check your steels a couple of times a year?

Thanks!

You would need to get the tank VIP'd everytime your removed your valves. Also, if you are getting your air from a reputable dive shop rust shouldn't be a problem I've owned steel tanks for years and never have rust problems with them.

MacLeod:
I have never hydro'ed steels, but in the past I have asked several people about the process of filling a steel tank up with water. It seemed intuitive that this would create a rust situation. I was told "no" not where they go bkz they "dry it out really well after afterwards". Is this true? Again intuitively it would seem like you would need to tumble your tanks after *every* hydro...is this wrong?

How expensive is it generally to get your tanks tumbled...and is it a particularly involved/timely process to tumble your own tanks?

What with all these stories of PST tank internal rust problems...is it a good practice to remove your valves and check your steels a couple of times a year?

Thanks!

No, they dry them out. But, if you are concerned with tumbling, look at the recent Do It Yourself forum threads. We recently discussed building a low cost tumbler. My version can be built for less than $50 if you can scrounge the motor from something else like I did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom