Post Hurricane Sandy OBX report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know if Sandy did much permanent damage to Nags Head/Hatteras - the wrecks, islands, and especially the dive shops? It seems like a lot of roads were buckled or washed away. I'm guessing that some of the wrecks were moved around. I hope no more dive shops went out of business (there are too few out there anyway).

:cheers:
Steve

The OBX can get a good nor'easter and the roads will wash out. Diving the wrecks after a big hurricane can actually be like diving a new wreck if it shifts the sand around.

I can give you the update on the island conditions but we have not been out diving since sandy blew thru and took out the road. Previous experience tells us that some changes to the wreck sites will have occurred and big chunks can get moved about but by spring the sand scours will have mostly filled back in and it will look pretty normal to most divers.

Since the road was out until just before Christmas, there was no easy access on or off so no divers to go diving. The road is now open and it is as close to normal travel wise as possible for now. The road should hold OK unless there is a tremendous NE storm, then it will flood but probably hold. The only buildings lost were surf zone houses in Rodanthe.

Sandy also did us the favor of completing the shoaling of the channel down near the inlet. Earlier storms blew out the sand at the end of the island into the channel and narrowed it a lot, then sandy and follow up NE blows have filled it in to the point the ferry to Oracoke stopped running. Many of the local boats ran aground in this spot when trying to go to sea. There is a big dredge here now clearing the channel and they will work until it is ready to go. We will be fine by the time the spring dive season is here and the diving should be just great!

That's great news Dave. I was worried that your boat may have taken a hit. Looking forward to diving down your way again (without any 2+ kt currents)

:cheers:
Steve

I can give you the update on the island conditions but we have not been out diving since sandy blew thru and took out the road. Previous experience tells us that some changes to the wreck sites will have occurred and big chunks can get moved about but by spring the sand scours will have mostly filled back in and it will look pretty normal to most divers.

Since the road was out until just before Christmas, there was no easy access on or off so no divers to go diving. The road is now open and it is as close to normal travel wise as possible for now. The road should hold OK unless there is a tremendous NE storm, then it will flood but probably hold. The only buildings lost were surf zone houses in Rodanthe.

Sandy also did us the favor of completing the shoaling of the channel down near the inlet. Earlier storms blew out the sand at the end of the island into the channel and narrowed it a lot, then sandy and follow up NE blows have filled it in to the point the ferry to Oracoke stopped running. Many of the local boats ran aground in this spot when trying to go to sea. There is a big dredge here now clearing the channel and they will work until it is ready to go. We will be fine by the time the spring dive season is here and the diving should be just great!

Back
Top Bottom