Post hurricane report from San Carlos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Buzo Loco

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Last weekend I went diving with Surface Time in San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico.

Here's a photo from Seal Island (N27 58.447 W111 22.717) showing some of the abundance of sea life in the area after the hurricane.

The vis was probably 75ft at the island and around 35 ft at sites along the mainland (due to the sediment runoff from the rain).

I also saw more eels than usual, including a couple Jewel Eels.

Nice diving and it only took about 15 minutes to cross the U.S. border on the return, which was a record.

The guys at Surface Time in San Carlos were great at getting us to some excellent dive sites and the restaurants they recommended kept us well fed!

Wow.
I haven't seen such a variety at Seal Island in a while.
I was out there in Oct of 01 3 days after a hurricane rolled through and it was still impressive.
I just wished it was a little faster of a trip from the marina.
I was also out there in June of this year and wasn't impressed.
The waters were pretty empty (all except for those Pacific Manowar and other damn jellies. I got eaten alive).
I will be heading out on Oct 3rd for another tip and will be hitting Seal Island.
Hopefully they fish will be as abundant as what you saw.
Where's your favorite place to dine?
I like Tequilas.

For breakfast it's hard to beat Rosa's Cantina. For a burger and fries I like Jax Snax. I had an okay steak at the Tetakawi hotel about 2 weeks ago. Tequila's tacos are hard to beat!

There's a great seafood place and a steak place in Guymas. Can't recall the names, but they are on the main drag by the McDonalds.

Enjoy your trip. I'll be on the Don Jose off La Paz while you're in San Carlos.

Happy diving!!!

This will be my last of the season so Im hoping for some nice dives.
With the nice waether we have been having here in Tucson im thinking it will be PERFECT in San Carlos (at least out of the water). Now I have 2 weeks to get over this damn cold :( and hope no tropical storms blow through.

Have a great trip :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom