Post Chamber Symptoms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCalAngel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What are common post chamber trip symptoms? How does one know if all the nitrogen is really gone?

Hmm. It's been awhile, but my experience as a chamber attendant gave me lots and lots of rides.

Mostly, I remember being frazzled. Disheveled hair, skin sticky from the sweat, sore back and numb buttocks, releaved to be back into cool air that I could stand up in. About the same symptoms from your basic closet-sized sauna.

Oh, yes, I forgot hungry.

As for the nitrogen elimination, well, I never felt any differently. Either you're fine, or bent. Pretty much like "regular" diving. If you push it, maybe you'll have the niggles. I did have a mild case of skin bends once, but that's it.

All the best, James

P.S. I suppose, (correctly speaking), that disheveled hair would be a sign, not a symptom. Ha!

The only symptoms I have seen post treatment were residual in nature from the orignial acident, often if people delay getting to the chamber the bubbles do thier damage (even if the N2 is eliminated the symptoms remain to some extent due to tissue damage)

Other things patients will notice, often a slightly irritated / dry throat from the O2, and as mentioned above sticky from the humidity in the tube.

That said I do know of one case treating two patients together, one with complications from diabetes / poor circulation / infection. He contracted a fungal growth within his respiratory system and with his weak immune system developed pnuemonia

scubalaurel:
What are common post chamber trip symptoms? How does one know if all the nitrogen is really gone?

Hi Laurel -

How are you doing? I'm much better. Back to normal actually. I can actually finish a
thought and have restarted my exercise program. A little lighter for now.

Are you coming to the picture party?

Hey - What is Joe's email?

Thanks -
Karen Savage
kpsavage6@yahoo.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom