Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I was working as a dive instructor when I had cancer. Now my doctors says that I shouldnt lift heavy objects to avoid lymphedema but none is able to tell me if I can continue teaching or only dive for fun (assisted by someone else)
Does anyone knows or has experienced this?

I have been treated with chemeotherapy and then a mastectomy and radiotherapy .

Have you checked with DAN?

I don't have any personal knowledge to share, but I would assume that good self-care is in order. Hoping for your continued improvement.

I have mild lymphedema and wear a compression sleeve. I haven’t returned to diving yet (I'm eight months postop and a cold water wimp). I wonder if I need the sleeve while diving.

As far as exercise, my lymphedema therapist said to wear one while exercising and flying. You should also avoid injury to your arm and hand. I suspect a glove might be helpful.

I would be curious to know what DAN's answer to that question is. I have a friend who hasn't been on SCUBA in a long while but used to snorkel and surf; last year she had a pretty serious case of acute lymphoblastic leukemia that was treated with chemo, blincyto, and a marrow transplant that hopefully put the boot in it for good. It would be great to get her back in the water.

Wishes for a speedy and complete recover.

As to your questions. Address both the potential risk post radiation and chemo, implants and lymphedema...

DAN | Medical Frequently Asked Questions

I don’t see the publication date but at least a place to start in your search for answers.

Here’s some others

Ask DAN: Can I Dive After Breast Cancer?

Breast Cancer Survey — DAN | Divers Alert Network — Medical Dive Article

Can diving benefit the health of breast cancer survivors? - DIVER magazine

Alert Diver | Returning to Diving

It’s been a few months since the initial post. Perhaps the op will respond with their progress.

Whatever you end up doing, have someone else do the Emergency Swimming Ascents with your group of students, you body doesn't need that multiple compression/decompression stress. Wearing a tighter neoprene top with full sleeves is probably also a good idea.
Years ago I was cave diving and deco diving with a friend a few months after her mastectomy, chemo and radiation treatments.
It was good for her and we had lots of fun for a few months, unfortunatly her treatment was too conservative and didn't cure her.
I hope and pray that you are still diving in 5 years.
Anke, I still miss you!

Michael

I was just scouring the internet for answers on this question. None of my doctors really even know what I'm asking since they have no clue about the physiology of diving. I'm primarily trying to understand lymphedema since I had a meeting with a PT today (pre-double mastectomy; no radiation; no tamoxifen; no chemo). She happens to dive a bit (not as much as I do - I'm at 300 recreational dives in 8 years and I live in the mountains of Colorado...), and suggested I should just always wear a compression sleeve now whenever I fly or dive. Ugh. They will take one sentinel node. If they find more during my surgery, then I'll want to understand the risks associated with radiation and chemo.

But my main thought here is that the DAN articles I've read are all the same and most are quite old and fairily generic. I wonder if DAN could be interested in exploring the subject further and more in depth than they did in the mid-2000s when the initial recycled article seems to have been published? I have the impression that many women who have had breast cancer treatments are diving again. And ALL of us have to be concerned about lymphedema down the line.

And all the best to the OP - I hope you are back to diving now.

I was just scouring the internet for answers on this question. None of my doctors really even know what I'm asking since they have no clue about the physiology of diving. I'm primarily trying to understand lymphedema since I had a meeting with a PT today (pre-double mastectomy; no radiation; no tamoxifen; no chemo). She happens to dive a bit (not as much as I do - I'm at 300 recreational dives in 8 years and I live in the mountains of Colorado...), and suggested I should just always wear a compression sleeve now whenever I fly or dive. Ugh. They will take one sentinel node. If they find more during my surgery, then I'll want to understand the risks associated with radiation and chemo.

But my main thought here is that the DAN articles I've read are all the same and most are quite old and fairily generic. I wonder if DAN could be interested in exploring the subject further and more in depth than they did in the mid-2000s when the initial recycled article seems to have been published? I have the impression that many women who have had breast cancer treatments are diving again. And ALL of us have to be concerned about lymphedema down the line.

And all the best to the OP - I hope you are back to diving now.

The other thing that I noticed is that the majority of those are for breast cancer specifically; while that is the OP's concern as stated I have a friend recovering from leukemia. I'm not even sure if lymphedema is an issue there; I stopped asking pesky medical questions of her around the time they started with the heavy artillery to prep for the marrow transplant.

Thank you all forma the information provided..... I hace been back to the water doing fun dices. I thought it was the best to stop teaching, safer for me and muy students
Being back in the water is Great!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom