Possible to Wear Thermal Ski Underwear With Dry Suits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am interested in getting a dry suit and since I'm also an avid skier, I'm wondering if anybody has worn thermal ski underwear with their scuba dry suits. If so, what are your thoughts on using them for scuba diving? I figure that if thermal ski underwear keeps me warm enough outside in the Canadian winter, it might also do the same for scuba diving.

No idea why not, if the clothes have good range of motion and no sharp edges (check any zippers). I bought my insulation clothing from a hiking shop, it seemed to work well.

During the winter, I wear my long underwear (polar fleece) as a base layer and my heavy fleece one-piece over top. I have never been cold, so it's working well.

cleung:
I am interested in getting a dry suit and since I'm also an avid skier, I'm wondering if anybody has worn thermal ski underwear with their scuba dry suits. If so, what are your thoughts on using them for scuba diving? I figure that if thermal ski underwear keeps me warm enough outside in the Canadian winter, it might also do the same for scuba diving.

Should be ok. I usually wear a one-piece Stanfields waffle-style undies under a set of Helly-Hansen 1-pc Spiez thermals (polypropylene). Anything from MEC should work well too! Polypropylene is the key though.

Yeah, I use backing fleece/poly-pros all the time... whatever keeps you warm AND is thiner.. the idea is to keep warm, wick away the condensations and not trap a lot of air... heavy weight poly-pro thermals work great.. plus and insulator or something like that... the old backpacking fleece would work fine, but it's bulky and traps too much air which means you need more weight to keep it down...
No Cotton as it does in backpacking, it's the worst thing you can wear.. traps the moisture and keeps it next to your skin..

Hope that helps..

Go ahead and give it a try. When I was a kid (teenager = not enough cash for fancy drysuit underwear) I did cold dives wearing my parka and ski bibs. Not ideal, but it kept me warm.

-Ben

Yup, just make sure it's not Down filled...
Worthless when wet, and the condensation will accumulate.

On the oppostite direction, I wore my drysuit undergraments in a blizzard, last winter, I was sweating my but off.

I wear a capaline silkweight base layer and a duofold shirt under my ski jacket and under my Wheezle. Works great.

Jerry

I wear ski underwear all the time under my regular undergarmets. They work great. They provide an extra layer of comfort. I recently got wet in my dry suit :( and the extra ski underwear really made a difference. I wouldn't wear anything bulky but the Hot Chili brand works great for me.

Back
Top Bottom