Possible missing in Lake Pend Oreille

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This is (outside the great lakes) the fifth largest lake and it's the fifth deepest lake in the country. At 94,600 acres and 1453' deep we don't do a lot of recoveries. It was in 83 or 84 when I watched a guy go to the bottom on a Lowrance X15. He settled in for a long stay at 750'.

We have dozens on the bottom. Now here is possibly another one.
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/11470

The nice thing about the lake is the temp is constant from surface to bottom. It is also one of the worlds most quiet lakes so the Navy does all it submarine testing here.

The creek where the two children just died in empties into this lake. The south end is ours. Here is a sat pic.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=15&x=83&y=829&z=11&w=1

Gary D.

Sad to hear...condolences to his family

Here we go again.

Just finished a meeting with the marine unit investigating our missing male on Lake Pend Oreille. Seems they have a large target area where the depth ranges from 840’ to 1100’.

The plan is to use the SS unit again. But first we have to get with the Navy and see how they feel about it and what equipment they have in the area, if any.

I’ll keep you posted.

Gary D.

I used to live in Sandpoint and it caught my attentions when I saw the headlines Lake Pend Oreille. Sad to see another one missing. Good luck in th recovery search.

down4fun:
I used to live in Sandpoint and it caught my attentions when I saw the headlines Lake Pend Oreille. Sad to see another one missing. Good luck in th recovery search.
Why did ya move?

We have enough missing between Pend Oreille and CdA to start a small city. Let Stephen King know and I'm sure he could come up with a book to freak everyone out.

That's a lot of SS cable and a big trolling area.

Gary D.

Followed my heart, that got broken and I stayed for the sun and the diving.

Besides while you are shoveling snow, I'll be diving in 80 degree weather that kind helps to offset the overpopulation annoyance. I do miss themountains though. My dad is still up there so I get to visit.

down4fun:
Followed my heart, that got broken and I stayed for the sun and the diving.

Besides while you are shoveling snow, I'll be diving in 80 degree weather that kind helps to offset the overpopulation annoyance. I do miss themountains though. My dad is still up there so I get to visit.
Give me a jingle on your next visit.

I still like the 4 seasons. I just wish people would learn what a PFD was and how to drive. ;^)

Gary D.

Sounds good.

What is a PFD? :-(

Maybe we could get in a dive the next time I am up. I have never done any lake diving and it sounds like you a veteran at it so that would be cool.

stay warm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom