possible Cayman diving in Oct. - lodging?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlstubbs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are planning on going to GC weather permitting around Oct 9th. We have stayed several times on the east end at Morritt's and dove with Ocean Frontiers. We have also stayed at Sunset House once.

I was thinking about trying something around SMB for location. Any suggestions about a place to stay on SMB? My wife likes fairly nice places once she is out of the water as do I for this trip. Good beach, nice room, etc...

Hyatt suites are a little more than I want to spend, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Thinking of staying a little closer to shops and restaurants this time.

Guess I may look at Neptune or Dive Tech for diving.

Thanks in advance.

John L

it has been highly recommended. There's always Cobalt Coast if you want to go north, but I have not heard too much about anywhere else. The Westin is supposed to be much nicer than many places and reasonible. My wife and I did the hotwire thing one night and got the Hyatt, before we flew to Cayman Brac, it was nice, they put us up in the Residence Club section. Got to see the guy from the Ronko infomercials at breakfast, lol. We took the kids last month and stayed at Compass Point, it was great. We'll be at Morritts Grand next month, Oct 8 to the 15th sans kids, just something about the east end. I'll be diving with Ocean Frontiers as usual.
Perhaps we'll see you around. Have fun if you get to go.

Mark

Cobalt Coast is very nice though it's not like staying at a big resort and doesn't have a beach (but you can pick a lounge chair in the sandy area next to the pool on the water and pretend. :) ) It's in a nice quiet area but not too far a drive to lots of restaurants and stuff. And you have DiveTech there.

jlstubbs:
My wife and I are planning on going to GC weather permitting around Oct 9th. We have stayed several times on the east end at Morritt's and dove with Ocean Frontiers. We have also stayed at Sunset House once.

I was thinking about trying something around SMB for location. Any suggestions about a place to stay on SMB? My wife likes fairly nice places once she is out of the water as do I for this trip. Good beach, nice room, etc...

Hyatt suites are a little more than I want to spend, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Thinking of staying a little closer to shops and restaurants this time.

Guess I may look at Neptune or Dive Tech for diving.

Thanks in advance.

John L

The Westin is really nice but when we were there (last week), the pool was closed for maintenance. You could try Marriot Courtyard - its in between Sunset & the Westin in terms of luxury & price! Its also right across the road from SMB. You should try Indigo Divers - they have an awesome boat and only take 6 divers, not to mention the cookies are yummy!

scvdiver:
it has been highly recommended. There's always Cobalt Coast if you want to go north, but I have not heard too much about anywhere else. The Westin is supposed to be much nicer than many places and reasonible. My wife and I did the hotwire thing one night and got the Hyatt, before we flew to Cayman Brac, it was nice, they put us up in the Residence Club section. Got to see the guy from the Ronko infomercials at breakfast, lol. We took the kids last month and stayed at Compass Point, it was great. We'll be at Morritts Grand next month, Oct 8 to the 15th sans kids, just something about the east end. I'll be diving with Ocean Frontiers as usual.

Mark
Mark,

Do you own time share at Morrits? You mentioned Ocean Frontiers, have you ever dove with them? I am considering using them when we stay at Morrits this Feb. I am not sure if Tortuga divers (located on Morrits) if they are still there or even re-open, do you know?? I tried emailing them but never seem to get a reply so maybe they are not or just don't need my business. Ocean Frontiers will pick you up and take you diving and drop you back off at the Morrits. Any info on Tortuga divers?
Have fun in Caymans.

scvdiver:

Mark

Mark,

Maybe we'll see you there. My wife and I are now leaning toward diving with Ocean Frontiers again. We really enjoyed them a few years ago. Also leaning toward staying at The Reef Resort.

Bought our airfare tonight. Oct 10th - 15th.

Later,

John L

Campurr:
Mark,

Do you own time share at Morrits? You mentioned Ocean Frontiers, have you ever dove with them? I am considering using them when we stay at Morrits this Feb. I am not sure if Tortuga divers (located on Morrits) if they are still there or even re-open, do you know?? I tried emailing them but never seem to get a reply so maybe they are not or just don't need my business. Ocean Frontiers will pick you up and take you diving and drop you back off at the Morrits. Any info on Tortuga divers?
Have fun in Caymans.

Hello there Campurr,

I do not own at Morritts, family gifted us an RCI exchange into Morritts for next month. I have rented a week at Morritts Tortuga back in Nov of 2003, I dove with Ocean Frontiers then and again last month. They are a top notch operation, certainly one of the best dive ops in the Carribbean. They have a satellite office at the Reef Resort next to Morritts Tortuga.

Morritts.com has a forum that has said that Tortuga Divers is operational since the beginning of the month. I do understand that they have had some communication problems down there so I wouldn't hold it against them. Apparently Red Sail is running the dive operation there, this link might be of some assistance. They might not have the emails cross linked. Tortuga Divers

Is this your first trip to the CI?

Mark
............................................................................................................

Hello there John,

I'll definately look for you, already got my dive days w/ocean frontiers down. Apparently it's an industry week so contact Lesley as soon as your able, especially for the three tank safari on wednesdays. Sure fire way to ensure some dives on the north end.
The Reef Resort is a great choice, definately one of the nicest on the island, since you are diving with OF have you checked out their Compass Point? That's where we stayed with the kids last month. Very reasonable, it helped allow us to come back this next month without the kids, my Father-in-law gave us the time share hoping he'll get another grand kid, we'll see about that. There will be the first annual Rum Festival, at the Grand Old House while you're there. Have fun counting down the days.

Mark

P.S. If you're booking a rental car, which I highly recommend you both do, check out Andy's and use the discount code CAG20. It'll give you the best rates on the island, much cheaper than Avis or others.

Rum festival = Babies, drink much :wink: Try the Tortuga Banana and Pineapple Rum, yum....
No not the first time in Caymans, but the first time stayin at the East end of the Island Morrits. We were suppose to travel a few months after the hurricane hit them and have not been able to get back yet until now. I do realize they got hit hard and certainly don't hold it against them. We do many group trips and I always check this board for such great information from other divers. We always look for a good dive experience with value so we can travel more. Recommend any group places there for groups? I am considering Sunset house in 06, since its close to everything.
Enjoy your trip.
Karen

scvdiver:
............................................................................................................

Hello there John,

I'll definately look for you, already got my dive days w/ocean frontiers down. Apparently it's an industry week so contact Lesley as soon as your able, especially for the three tank safari on wednesdays. Sure fire way to ensure some dives on the north end.
The Reef Resort is a great choice, definately one of the nicest on the island, since you are diving with OF have you checked out their Compass Point? That's where we stayed with the kids last month. Very reasonable, it helped allow us to come back this next month without the kids, my Father-in-law gave us the time share hoping he'll get another grand kid, we'll see about that. There will be the first annual Rum Festival, at the Grand Old House while you're there. Have fun counting down the days.

Mark

P.S. If you're booking a rental car, which I highly recommend you both do, check out Andy's and use the discount code CAG20. It'll give you the best rates on the island, much cheaper than Avis or others.

Thanks for the car info. Will definitely look into that. We always get a car when we stay on the East end, but I have usually just walked over from the airport w/o any reservations. Thanks for the tip! I've already sent Lesley an email to finalize things. I've stayed at Morritt's a few times as well. My parents have a time share there and that's when I first dove with OF. They are a great dive operation. Hope you have a great time and I'll keep an eye out for you.

Later,

John L

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom