positive retention of reel lockdkwn screw?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max Speed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any clever ideas to make the reel lockdown screw captive?

I have thought of peening the threads, safety wire, spring clip, tapping a hole to store a spare screw. Any better ideas?

Ok, here's how it's done.

Take off the e-clip and remove the spool. Back out the lock down screw until only one thread is exposed on the inside of the frame. Using an automatic centerpunch place two small stakes 180 degrees apart on the end face of the lockdown screw. The stakes expand the last thread a bit and the screw is now captive.

No parts needed and takes less than 30 seconds (plus 10 minutes to find the e-clip that shot across the room).

Dive Rite can pm me for an address for the product improvement award.

Go to the hardware store and find a "C-clip" that will fit. Snap it on and your done. It can also be removed if you need to take the screw out at a later time.

Ok, here's how it's done.

Take off the e-clip and remove the spool. Back out the lock down screw until only one thread is exposed on the inside of the frame. Using an automatic centerpunch place two small stakes 180 degrees apart on the end face of the lockdown screw. The stakes expand the last thread a bit and the screw is now captive.

No parts needed and takes less than 30 seconds (plus 10 minutes to find the e-clip that shot across the room).

Thanks, in 10 minutes I made my collection of spare screws obsolete. That was a simple solution to a nagging problem.

OK, here's how it's done.

LOL. Nice.I worked with a DR reel for years. (for shooting a DSMB) I now use a Manta reel.

Reels | Manta Industries & Highseas Millwork

Something cool about Manta. My daughter ran over my reel at about 11:00 AM one Saturday with her Jetta. It pretty much sprung back to shape at about 2:30 PM when I used it to shoot a 40# marker. At the end of the day, I dropped the reel off at the LDS. They shipped it back to Manta. Manta replaced the damaged parts and had the reel back to me before the following weekend. And they sent me a T-shirt. :D Oh.no charge.
Nice thing about Mantas...they won't free spool or birds nest when shooting a bag from depth.

what size e-clip does the dive rite reel take? And does it have to be stainless steel. I have had no luck finding it at a hardware store.

Kirk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom