Poseidon Xstream Deep be Duration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

streightfaced

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I generally have been diving air, but with more trips planned to warmer shallower depths, nitrox is getting used more. Next summer I plan to start getting into some deep/tech diving.

Is it possible to get the Xstream Deep but still use it with nitrox? I have read different thing, just looking for others opinions. Would rather not have to buy two sets if I don't have to. Thanks.

Last edited:
you're fine if you are using it with normal nitrox levels, Poseidon will disagree, but you'll be fine with recreational nitrox limits, I wouldn't use them with O2 and you obviously won't be doing 50/50 mixes for a while. When they are due for service, ask your tech to put the duration parts kits in them and have the first stage O2 cleaned. Not technically required, but they use a silicone lube during manufacturing, so having it take a good dunk in the ultrasonic for cleaning won't hurt it.

Poseidon will never say it, but yes, you will be fine using nitrox under 40%. If I were in your shoes, I would pick the Xstream Duration and just use if for everything (mostly because I like the green). Poseidon's official stance is that it is unsafe to use a non-O2 clean regulator for oxygen mixtures above ~23%. In normal practice however... it's commonly accepted that it's safe to use just about any regulator with oxygen mixtures up to 40%. It is really fairly unrealistic to expect your O2 clean regulator to actually stay O2 clean with normal recreational diving unless you are extremely careful about your air/nitrox coming only from oxygen compatible sources. I can tell you, that can really be a drag. If you plan on using that regulator for technical diving in the future, the oxygen levels in your back gas will start going down instead of up, so it won't even be important. When you do move to that level you can get a dedicated O2 reg, but I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

Just to reaffirm this, Poseidon does use different manufacturing techniques for the Duration and the Deep, different lubricants on the metal itself and these are all but impossible to get off. Officially they shouldn't be used with high O2%. The current official CGA rulings are somewhere in the mid-low 20's, can't remember what it is for O2 clean environments, but the dive industry has used 40% for decades with no issues. If you have the Deep's already, there is no point in buying the duration for recreational nitrox use, especially the second stages.

I highly recommend using either Dive Right in Scuba, or Dive Gear Express for any Poseidon purchases as they have done more than any other in bringing Poseidon back into the US and making parts readily available for the divers.

What I would HIGHLY HIGHLY SUPER HIGHLY recommend if you are buying regulator sets is to buy the doubles package from them while you are purchasing. If you have any intention of ever going to backmount doubles, diving with a pony bottle, or anything like that, you will save so much money buying the second first stage now, and I'm a firm believe in sets of things.

You go $850 to $1100, but get the regulator bag for it, but get the second stage for $250 instead of $420. Not sure if they will customize the regulator package for you, but for single tank diving now, but say you want the Xstream Streamlined OW package with the second first stage for the price of the doubles set. If they say no, worst case it's $20 for the spin on yoke adapter *doesn't have to be Poseidon*, and like $12 for the elbow.

The other thing is that if you've never breathed on a Poseidon before, ask them to breathe a Jetstream, Xstream, and Cyklon, and then breathe a normal regulator as well, Dive Rite XT etc. They are very different beasts and aren't for everyone. If you can get them in the water that would be ideal

I'll consider. I have a HOG setup on my pony now. I dove my instructors Xstream in the pool during my OW class a few years back. The setup I have now I got used from my dive shop and now looking to get something better as it also will be used under ice eventually.

what are you using currently? Was just commenting that the extra $250 to have the full set is worth it if you are going to technical diving. Always good to have matching regs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom