Poseidon vs Apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Restart

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, notice that most DIR divers are using Apeks ATX 50, 100, 200 than using Poseidon's range of reg, Cyklon, Jetstream, Xstream.

Is there any differences between these two types of regulators?
Servicing and maintainces wise are there any problems too?

Thanks.

Big difference. Poseidon's are an upstream design where as Apeks (and most others) are downstream. This makes servicing them very difficult since upstream regulators are more complicated. I've been using Poseidon's for my doubles the past year and will be moving to Apeks next year. The primary reason is because I can work on the Apeks myself. I have to have my Poseidon's sent off to be serviced. I do use an Apeks for teaching and for a deco bottle. Poseidon's do breathe much easier at depth.

My understanding is that the Poseidon X-Stream regulators are in fact downstream regs, and that the X-Stream Deep possesses the least (or one of the least) o-rings (fewer ports) and moving parts of any reg out there. But I'm not a reg tech.

In terms of service, however, I also understand that its easier to purchase parts kits and tools to work on your Apeks regs yourself - Poseidon parts and tools, etc. can be more difficult to come by.

YMMV.

ppo2, thanks for your speedy reply....... May you also enlighten me, what is "Upstream" and "Downstream" Regulators?
And did you attended some reg-courses, inorder to know how to service your own Apeks regs?

Thanks, :)
Kit.

When a downstream regulator fails, it 'fails open' or freeflows. When an upstream regulator fails, it 'fails closed' or does not freeflow. A free-flowing regulator can still be breathed from, (and 'feathered' - or opened to breath, then closed to save gas, etc. while the diver ascends) and hence is considered safer than one which fails closed.

heh. thanks :)

i was about to post the same question about poseidon and apeks...

the apeks is cheaper... do it really worth to buy poseidon?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom