Poseidon regulators??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgmontgomery

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I know someone selling a Poseidon xstream (they look brand new...just like the cstream on their website) regulator (1st & 2nd) for $250; thoughts?
Also:
-I see pics of "famous" (Chatterton, Kohler, et al) divers in books, and all of them use Poseidon; the bench tests, however, never rate them for deep (>198 fsw) diving. What's up with this? Are they good regs or just over priced "cool" regs?
Example-> 16 Best New Regulators Over $400 | Scuba Diving
Poseidon divers with whom I've dove swear by them, but what else would they say? I wonder if the regs are akin to a Danish electronics company whose gear is cool looking & sounds pretty good, but WAY overpriced for what you get?**
-I noticed that they're servo-assisted; can I use the xstream set with a SP G250 as an octopus?
Thanks!!

**Nothing against Danish gear, I own all Dynaudio 5.2 (subs are Kresseil) surround speakers!

walking to the grocery store, sorry.

read that thread that he linked to.

basically two things with the Xstreams, the old MK3's don't have adjustable IP, the new ones do. Doesn't really matter, just a thing.

It will work with a G250, but you have to tune it to the lower IP of the Poseidon. They call for 123psi vs 140ish.

$250 isn't a bad price, but I wonder why he only has a first and a second instead of a full set.... They are absolutely rated better than 200ft, they are certified to 200m....

The Poseidon Triton was a flop, pretend it didn't exist, Poseidon tries to.... The Cyklon is essentially unchanged since 1958, the Jetstream unchanged since the 80's sometime, and the Xstream has seen a few small changes, but nothing drastic. Firsts have changed quite a bit, but the brand new Cyklons still use identical parts kits as the ones from 1958. That said, even the Xstream is an almost identical design to the Jetstream, just has a shorter barrel and two diaphragms to make it smaller, but the servo design is almost identical, they use the same hose adapters, etc.

Anything but overpriced pieces of junk. The new ones are no worse price wise than new Apeks/Atomic/Scubapro etc, hold their value like crap, but that's why I buy used, but they will outlast your grandkids if taken care of properly. The design isn't for everyone, they are "different" to breathe, but the Xstreams are less different than the Jetstreams and are a beautiful regulator. Wish I could justify them, but no one wants to liquidate the Xstreams like they do the Jetstreams, so I'm stuck with what I have.

Would YOU buy a Xstream for $250? Anything that I should look for before buying?
BYW-I didn't mean to imply that they're overpriced hunks of junk; I was actually trying to ascertain if they're worth the premium $$ they cost & if they're "no better than" a SP, AA etc? I'd never insult another diver's gear...much less the 1000s who might see this thread. My apologies that my post read that way.
Why do the mags not rate them for deeper dives? I assume that there's something at play NOT caused by their (Poseidens) inability to deliver air safely below 198 fsw?
Thanks for all of the great info! Unfortunately I've expanded the choices for my next primary: AA, Apex, Poseiden or SP?!?!?

the one you looked at in the magazine are the Triton series that were a very short run, but I would ignore the magazines for anything meaningful. They 3 models produced today are all rated for 200m, and function with no problem up to that depth. Apeks do not function to that depth btw, it's a nature of the overbalanced diaphragms.

I wouldn't pay $250 for a pair, but I'm a cheapskate, so that point is pretty irrelevant. If they are in near new condition and are in service, $250 is a good deal.

I would not buy any of those brands new, Atomic, Apex, and Scubapro can't be serviced by yourself which is an automatic "NO" for me. Dive Rite XT is the only reg I would consider buying new, Hog regs would be second if you are interested in taking the class to service them yourself, and are OK new or used, and basically anything used is a decent deal, it's personal preference, what you value in the company you're supporting, and then it's up to you. Poseidon suffers from a flaw in the first stage design for hose routing by not having a port on the bottom. I think this is very nice to have in doubles configurations and singles if you are diving wet. Not a deal breaker, but it does offer better streamlining. The parts used to be a problem to get, but they are now freely available to non service techs. This is huge because their main competitors have a very tight lock on parts kit availability. It's up to you.

It's not a bad deal, but I only buy regulators in pairs, so 2 firsts, 2 seconds. I don't buy individual.
Reason is all of my regulators are done in pairs
2 for backgas, either singles or doubles, or single with a pony, both nitrox/trimix
2 for stage and first deco bottle, nitrox/trimix and 100% O2
2 for second stage and deep deco bottles, nitrox/trimix and 50%

Same with tanks, I don't buy tanks outside of matched pairs, it's my personal preference

Thanks; I think that I've narrowed down the competition. If the Pos regs are fairly easy to "self service," that's a HUGE plus in my book. I wish that I could try them first.
I'll double check to see if there's an octo too. They had about 12 first stages around the Pos, so it may have been one 1st & two 2nds, or two 1st/2nd combos. I didn't ask to see them because the guys were busy filling cylinders; plus, I wasn't ready to buy...yet.

let me know if there are multiple sets of Poseidons, may be interested in them. They aren't necessarily the easiest to self service, but the parts are freely available. You can't take the official course without being associated with a shop, but you can buy parts. With Aqualung/Scubapro you can't buy the parts without being a certified technicians and work for an authorized dealer. It's idiotic. Atomic/Dive Rite/Hog/Poseidon/Zeagle allow you to buy parts, but your warranty is void with some of them I think if you aren't a factory service tech

I am with tbone on a buying model, and as you commence it is worth considering what you want. I have decided to service my gear myself and to ease the knowledge, tools and parts I only have Scubapro MK25 firsts and s600 (or compatible S360/S560) seconds. I have 8 MK25s and 17 s600/s360.

My local Scubapro shop is good to me and will sell me parts, they say that is okay but they will not sell service kits. I tend not to use kits, and source the O-rings in bulk. For the MK25s I found a source for seats and have enough for quite a few years. For the s600 the Low Pressure Seat is a standard Dive Rivet Style A148 and can be sourced fairly easily.

If you are planning on building an inventory of gear it is worth considering it being consistent rather than rushing at what appears to be a quick good deal. This will help if you plan to service and will help to find a service agent if you go that way.

I would not buy any of those brands new, Atomic, Apeks, and Scubapro can't be serviced by yourself which is an automatic "NO" for me. Dive Rite XT is the only reg I would consider buying new, Hog regs would be second if you are interested in taking the class to service them yourself, and are OK new or used, and basically anything used is a decent deal, it's personal preference, what you value in the company you're supporting, and then it's up to you.

I am not sure why you keep saying this. You can get kits for many regulators from from places like Northeast Scuba Supply, Vintage Double Hose, and others. I cannot speak about Atomic but I am able to rebuild Apeks and Scubapro without any trouble getting parts. You can purchase parts for Hog regulators without taking the course so they are just as good as Dive Rite in that regard.

As Tbar mentioned, you can use generic parts in most second stages and for some first stages. For others you can look around and purchase first stage kits or lose parts.

$250 is a great price. The XStream is the best breathing reg I've ever used below 200 feet. But they are a bitch to service, parts are expensive, and the first stages burn through servos on a regular basis.

As for getting parts from NESS or the like for Apeks, etc., they are not usually OEM parts. Some of the third party stuff has been less than acceptable.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Back
Top Bottom