Poseidon Oxygen Sensor , SSo2, portability ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

narayaana

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am really fresh to rebreather and I discover the poseidon's oxygen sensor. It is molex. but not "r22" like my rebreather.
I was wondering what is the effort to implement this sensor on other rebreathers.
I guess need to update the diver computer / o2 reader software, but no sure.
what else would be needed ?

Unlike galvanic sensors the SS02 sensor requires power. Dive Gear Express offers a package that includes the C-Pod that houses the sensor. As far as I am aware Shearwater has not yet developed the means to use their computers with the sensor, so the only commercially available computer that works with these is the Poseidon M28.

Poseidon SSO2 Sensor, C-Pod w/T-Coupling, Cable Bundle (6011-064)

Unlike galvanic sensors the SS02 sensor requires power. Dive Gear Express offers a package that includes the C-Pod that houses the sensor. As far as I am aware Shearwater has not yet developed the means to use their computers with the sensor, so the only commercially available computer that works with these is the Poseidon M28.

Poseidon SSO2 Sensor, C-Pod w/T-Coupling, Cable Bundle (6011-064)
Thanks a very clear answer, thanks 😊

basically what @Southside said

"normal" oxygen sensors generate a very small amount of electricity in the presence of oxygen and that voltage is measured by a very sensitive voltmeter inside of the unit. On older CCR's this was inside of the handset, and on modern CanBUS based CCR's it is measured on the O2 board and converted to a digital signal that is processed by the handset.
The solid state O2 sensor is a digital sensor that uses light to calculate the partial pressure of oxygen. As such it is like a USB device on your computer where there are power pins and data pins to communicate back. On the CanBUS units, when this becomes available it will be as simple as swapping out the O2 board that is currently a voltmeter that converts the analog voltage to a digital signal for a board that powers the sensor and relays data back to the SOLO processor for Shearwater, CPU's for Divesoft etc. On older units like the KISS or anything using a fischer cable that transmits the analog voltage back to the handset itself for digital conversion, it will require complete replacement of the handset since it does not contain the hardware required to run the sensor.

If you want a solution now, the CPOD with M28 is the only commercial solution on the market.

In the mean time, I found out some industrial companies can provide Bluetooth-enabled, waterproofed, o2 optical range sensors for autoclave. They can work with varying ppo2, from 0 to 3 bar and total pressure up to 10-11 bar. response time it not great for the ones I found. It is pretty small and could fit in a counter lung or just out of canister. I try to order a couple and see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom