Poseidon - overpressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul Desmarais

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Poseidon set up I bought used; Cyklon first stage with jet stream second stages (reg and octo). The first stage is contantly pushing too much pressure. I have had it serviced twice nad it is still doing it; pushing so much air it autoinflates my bcd.

I really like the way the regs breathe, but this is stating to feel unsafe.

Anyone else with similar experiences, ideas, thoughts?

Is BC inflator works properly?
From what I remember 75 to 150 pounds is the range across most all reg first stage lp output. Most I thought were around 90 psi. There supposed to be set at each servicing. If mouth piece 2nd stage is still working fine, the yea the valve on the bc might be not closing fully. The occasional use of food grade silicone liquid spray into the parts I do. That might avoid sticking and also specific BC rinse treatment I use to remove salts internal and external. Remember that after using that stuff per instructions to rinse with fresh water fully that you can not detect the stuff there anymore. Other stuff you see for cleaning wetsuit and drysuit stuff shampoo made for them I like to use. The deodorizer that is not a fragrance but good microbe work very well, I use it on wetsuit and drysuit. Note, only cold water with that stuff or it kill the microbe and will not do the natural deodorizing. I did have to replace a valve core on a drysuit that was sticking and then it was again OK. The power inflator hose you should be able to remove underwater in an emergency. I gave a lot more about servicing stuff you could do, but a shop has the stuff to really check out what is going on.

From what I remember 75 to 150 pounds is the range across most all reg first stage lp output. Most I thought were around 90 psi. There supposed to be set at each servicing. If mouth piece 2nd stage is still working fine, the yea the valve on the bc might be not closing fully.

Most first stages are set from 120 to 140 psi. The Cyclon first is unusual in that it sets at a high 166 psi. Trying to find my spec sheet, I think that is correct.

James

I have a Poseidon set up I bought used; Cyklon first stage with jet stream second stages (reg and octo). The first stage is contantly pushing too much pressure. I have had it serviced twice nad it is still doing it; pushing so much air it autoinflates my bcd.

I really like the way the regs breathe, but this is stating to feel unsafe.

Anyone else with similar experiences, ideas, thoughts?

If the regs work properly for breathing, the problem is in the BC power inflator. Usually it is the Schrader valve in the inflator, I just dismantle, clean, and put in a new Schrader valve, as it could be worn out rather than dirty, and they are cheap. A higher pressures would tend to keep the valve shut, rather than leak, when operating properly.

I am 99% sure it is not the BC inflator. With a different regulator (1st stage) , everything works fine. My second stage and octo both have air bleecding from the hose connections right before the regs each time I move ansd the hoses are not in straight alignment with the reg.
I am trying to figure out if; a) if got ripped off when I bought my reg and if i did, can I fix it or does it make s more sense to accept got screwed and move on; or if there is a 'fix' for this situation.

My second stage and octo both have air bleecding from the hose connections right before the regs each time I move ansd the hoses are not in straight alignment with the reg.

If there is air comingng out of the hose connection fittings, they are improperly tightened, or since the Cyclon threads are metric, someone may have tried to thread in a standard hose. Check the threads for damage.

Do you have a close up pic of the connection at the second stage?
It could simply be the o-ring on the inner swivel connector stem needing replacement usually a -010 70 Duro… or possibly someone has fiddled with it.
A second hand Cyklon set I bought recently had the correct OEM M14x1.25 hose on the primary but they had managed to connect a longer 9/16” UNF hose to the octo by putting an o-ring inside the swivel connector and tightening onto it 🙄
Luckily the threads were not damaged…
Early Jetstreams had the OPV incorporated in the hose but as @Nemrod points out later ones have the OPV in the first stage and use an adaptor to fit standard 9/16” UNF hoses.

The problem is that the Cyklon first stage is set to 166 psi and the Jetstream second stage regulator which has a built in pressure relief in the hose fitting is designed for 124 psi IP. The Cyklon first and second stages are not compatible with the Jetstream second stage. The over pressure relief is being activated by the high IP setting for the Cyklon second stage.

The newest Jetstreams may have removed the over pressure relief (it was in the hose end fitting to the second stage body, you can pull on it to test) because it was incorporated into the first stage. Poseidon has to set the IP specific to their product lines. The Jetstream is a servo assisted upstream regulator thus the need for either a relief in the hose fitting or in the first stage or pair it with a conventional second stage that is downstream design. I run my Jetstream with a Mark V set at 124 psi and a Scubapro R190 to act as the over pressure relief.

The BC, I suspect it does not like the high IP.

James

Back
Top Bottom