POS OMS headlamp mod

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtivat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well I had a POS OMS head lamp that flooded the second time I used it in 25' of water. The LED, driver and reflector were all toast and OMS wouldn't do $%it about it. So I decided to modify it and make it better.

The parts all came from The Sandwich Shoppe. I used a Seoul P4 U Bin LED and a SOB 750ma driver. As the old reflector was ruined I had to find a new one which was not easy. I ended up using a 27mm IMS Reflector. I had too dermal the outer edge of the old one off and put on the new one. This increased the OD of the new one making it fit. I used Arctic Alumina Adhesive (2 Part Epoxy) to hold everything together and for thermal management. The SOB driver was much smaller than the stock unit and was an easy fit. With the new reflector being smaller I had to shim the new LED out with washer but the fit was very nice.

This mod would be very simple with the original reflector. You could simply throw the new driver and LED in and be done. This light is now very bright and really throws with a nice tight beam. It is much brighter than the Oxycheq RII.

Below are some pics of the mod and comparison shots with other lights.
They really don't do the light justice it really blows away the Rat and UK Super.

IMG-7510.JPG

RATjrtopOMSbottom.JPG

UKSUPERtopOMSbottom.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom