Portugal, what is the diving like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dived Sagres (most Southerly point) two years ago and it was amazing. It’s like half cold water half warm water diving. 16 degrees when I went in July and there was a plethora of marine life, unlike many Mediterranean destinations.

Up
I will summarize what I found in this discussion about mainland Portugal. The main spots are

Sesimbra
Berlenga
Algarve region

Do you have any specific suggestions on places or diving centers in Algarve?
Thanks

Up
I will summarize what I found in this discussion about mainland Portugal. The main spots are

Sesimbra
Berlenga
Algarve region

Do you have any specific suggestions on places or diving centers in Algarve?
Thanks

Portuguese here.

Are you looking specifically for places to dive in Portugal, mainland Portugal or in Algarve? From the three you mentioned, I would rather dive the other two and in Azores or Madeira (the islands) vs. mainland.

Disclaimer: My opinion on diving in Algarve and Madeira is based on opinions of people I dive with. Just dived in Sesimbra, Berlengas and Azores.

Is water temp still below 20c inthe summer too?

Is water temp still below 20c inthe summer too?

Depends. In Algarve and Madeira probably is above.
In Santa Maria (Azores) when I was there last September it was 23-24C.

Regarding the rest, bottom temperature should be below 20C.

I would rather dive Sesimbra and Berlengas when it's colder though, as visibility tends to be better.

I dived from Portimao on the Algarve, on the Ocean Revival Park, which was very good albeit artificial, lots of life, good easy swim throughs, saw my first free swimming conger there (got a vid somewhere). Lots of octopus and life generally.

Water was colder than I would have liked, we were no deco and still cold in a wetsuit, guide was dry, which tells its own story!

Viz wasn't great either, better in the wrecks than out. I was with Subnauta who were very good and efficient, think they have 2 ribs and a hardboat for liveaboard.

If I do this, it will have to be in summer months as that is when I will be in Portugal. Thanks for your response

Portuguese here.
Are you looking specifically for places to dive in Portugal, mainland Portugal or in Algarve? From the three you mentioned, I would rather dive the other two and in Azores or Madeira (the islands) vs. mainland.
Disclaimer: My opinion on diving in Algarve and Madeira is based on opinions of people I dive with. Just dived in Sesimbra, Berlengas and Azores.

Thanks
My first choice as a diving destination would be Azores or Madeira. Still, since it's always a pleasure to visit mainland Portugal it might happen I go to Lisbon or to Algarve during a non diving trip, and then I add a dive or 2 just for my curiosity (in Sesimbra very likely)
That's why I am also collecting info on mainland Portugal, and especially Algarve provided Sesimbra is probably a must dive for those who go to Lisbon

Thanks
My first choice as a diving destination would be Azores or Madeira. Still, since it's always a pleasure to visit mainland Portugal it might happen I go to Lisbon or to Algarve during a non diving trip, and then I add a dive or 2 just for my curiosity (in Sesimbra very likely)
That's why I am also collecting info on mainland Portugal, and especially Algarve provided Sesimbra is probably a must dive for those who go to Lisbon

I heard good reviews of Sagres in Algarve. Regarding Ocean Revival Park (4 wrecks sunk on purpose), I think the problem is visibility. Not the best place to sink them, dive-wise.

I've done a few dives around there (in fact going to Ocean Revival tomorrow w Cipreia!). Sagres diving is beautiful. Swim-throughs, caverns, lovely viz, octopi etc. DiversCape is in Sagres itself (Andre), Blue Ocean is in Lagos (Elmar & Ute) but dive all along the coast there (and know lots of sites - Elmar has been diving around there for probably two decades). Cipreia (Nuno & team) are good as well. Don't know others. Viz & temperatures can be like UK (ok, southern UK waters). Semi-dry should be fine for 16-18C and higher.

Back
Top Bottom