Portland, OR Sept 1-4 Closest Place to Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaj_66

Reaction score
Hello....

A group of us are heading to Portland Thursday morning to visit friends. Two of us a divers and want to know where the closest place is to dive. An local boats going out for morning dives? We would appreciate any info and some local dive buddies if interested.

Thanks

Jay and Kim

The closest place to Portland I would recommend for someone to go for diving would be Tacoma, Washington for a boat dive with www.banditocharters.com It is about a 2 hour 15 minute drive from Portland. I'd offer to take you up there for a day, but I have to finish painting my house before September 21 so I can go to SoCal for some Channel Island diving, and I really hate painting my house.

There is no boat diving or any other decent diving in Portland. Your best bet is to head up to the Puget Sound, Tacoma or Seattle have some good dive sites. Hood Canal is another really good place to start. There are several dive sites along US 101. There is diving on the Oregon Coast but it requires a little more skill and local knowledge. There are a couple of dive sites in the Tillamook /Garibaldi area about 60 miles west of Portland. Newport (about 2 hours south on the coast) has some spots as well. Portland itself sits on the river and trust me, you do not want to dive that!

Hello everyone....

Thanks for the replies. Looks like we'll have to do another trip to town and schedule our diving a little before hand. Hope everyone is enjoyin the water.

Regards

Jay

High Rocks on the Clackamas River is the best choice of all local Portland River dives. Not much to see but you can still get wet and possibly find some goodies that teenagers lose while swimming above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom