Portland, OR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wrybosome

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey,

I might be spending a week or two in Portland next year for work. What's the diving scene like within easy driving distance? Where would you go for a weekend dive?

Looking at summertime, July or early August.

Thanks!

Tim

For a weekend dive, I'd head north to Hood Canal or Edmonds Dive Park.

I've recently moved back to Portland myself and am about to start exploring every waterway I can to see what might be closer for someone just wanting to get wet. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Nick. How long is the drive from Seattle to Portland?

its about 2 1/2 hours to hoodsport and 3 hours or so to seattle happy t day

The only thing within an hour is a dive at Lake Merwin and I can't really say thats really very exciting :)

I drive up to Puget Sound or Hood Canal to dive at least a couple times a month.
Its about 2 1/2 to 3 hours each way.

We also head north at least once a month to dive. In the summer time though, Clear Lake for a weekend camping trip is great. We've also gone crawfish hunting at Timothy Lake on Mt Hood. It's about an hour and a half's drive.

you can also head west and hit Tillamook Bay, Newtarts Bay or head Southwest a bit and dive Newport Bay. Out of Tillamook and Newport there might be a chance to go out in the ocean, call the local dive shops before you come on out and they might be able to hook you up on a charter trip although there are not many going out.

stan

Tim

Getting off of our coast to dive can be challenging to say the least..There are some great sites just north of Portland, in the seattle area. When you get out here, let me know and we can find you some great dives..GPO's and wolf eels

Allen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom