Portable Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a compressor coming that I ordered from Shelden Sporting Goods.
Jim has been building compressors for a long time and came highley recommended.
He uses quality parts(Bauer,Honda, et) and his prices are compatible.
He has been great to work with and has lots of experience.

Take a look at his website....Shelden Sporting Goods Inc. - High Pressure Air Compressors.

My compressor should arrive today, if you want I can let you know how it does as I have 4 empty cyl's waiting on it.

Ron

cfree,

I have known Porter Stiles at August industries and done business with him for 25 years, He is a very reliable individual and will take care of you.
very well
Jim Shelden

Thanks, Ron for the good words, I glad you received it and it's running. Let me know how you like it after you have filled a few tanks.
Jim

Also wanted to add my endorsement of Porter Stiles at August Industries, I have only dealt with him directrly a few times, but he seems to really care that people get what they need, and not what might make him the most money.

Ike

I picked my compressor up today and tried it out, here are my thoughts/report.

The compressor I got from Shelden Sporting Goods looked every bit as good as I had hoped.
Jim Shelden's workmanship is very good, you can tell he has built a few of these before.

It was time to try it out,I had 6 tanks to fill in all:
2 19 CF pony's 3000 psi
2 130 CF 3500 psi
2 100 CF 3500 psi
The compressor ran great, not so much as a hiccup.
It did take a little time pumping approx 4.2 CFM to fill all the tanks.
There was not much to it, connect it to the tanks, turn the air on and check on them every so often.
Pretty nice not having to load cyl's, carry to LDS, unload cyl's, then load cyl's, carry home unload cyl's.
I realize that running/maintaining your own compressor is not free.(maintenance,fuel,oil, et)
But filling your cyl's when time is available,the LDS is closed or you are diving a remote spot makes owning your own compressor a nice option to have.

Ron

I have a Bauer portable and stationary units. I deal with Porter at August industries in Dallas too. He is a wealth of information. Even if he is not making a sale right then.

Also someone mentioned using a JRII to pump up storage bottles.......... this compressor is NOT made for this. The JRII is made to pump about two 80 cf tanks and then you have to let it cool off. the motor and compressor does not hold enough oil for long runs. Also the JRII is splash lubricated. OK for short runs. Not for storage bottles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom