Portable Air Compressors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Submarine

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any expierence with portable air compressors? I dive with a group of 5-10 people and we are talking about purchasing a compressor. We have been bit several years in a row with no air situations when we travel to dive remote locations. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Submarine:
Does anyone have any expierence with portable air compressors? I dive with a group of 5-10 people and we are talking about purchasing a compressor. We have been bit several years in a row with no air situations when we travel to dive remote locations. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

What do you consider "portable"?

I'm looking at compressors for my house, and have narrowed down to just a few, with the alkin W31 being top so far...It is 130lbs, and comes in a gas model. I have no experience with any, so far.

Is that portable enough for you?

:banana:

We are looking at transporting the compressor in a truck and would like it compact and light enough to put on a boat. A gas model is a must because power is not always available and we do not want to have to cart a power supply with us. So, 100 - 150lbs would not scare me off, it must have its own power head, I would like fill times in the 10 minute to 3000lbs range.
I have found alot of information about compressor manufacutres out there but, would like to know if anyone has expierence with owning or operating these compact units. I am trying to find out who makes the highest quality compressor for breathing air for the buck.
Thanks.

Any compressor that can fill a 3000 psi 80 in 10 minutes will weight a lot more than 150 pounds. 20 to 25 minutes is is more feasable.

Captain

captain:
Any compressor that can fill a 3000 psi 80 in 10 minutes will weight a lot more than 150 pounds. 20 to 25 minutes is is more feasable.

Captain
I agree,............
with all due respect, please do more research before making a decision.

Submarine:

I have used both Bauer Utilus and Capitano gas powered (Honda) models. They are both excellent if you maintain them properly.

mikswi:
I agree,............
with all due respect, please do more research before making a decision.
No offence taken... This is a new idea with our dive group. I am just trying to gather information to make a good decision. I do see that higher cfm compressors increase in weight.
Here is another question... What is a typical boat compressor system? Do they use a lightweight portables with bank cylinders or do they install higher volume heavier compressors. What are the advantages or disadvatages to either system?

You need a 10cfm compressor to not spend all night filling tanks for 10 people,; at 3.5-4cfm 3 tanks an hour. I use an 8.6 cfm and a 6 cfm to both have backup and run them both when needed. You may be happier with two smaller 3.5-4 cfm, but be warned this size is not really made to run for 4-5 hours without a rest. Another hint use LP tanks as it is the last 2500-3000 psi that takes the most time to fill, an LP 80 will fill faster (and happier) than a Al 80 from 500 to 3000 psi. Most of the ratings you see are for AL 80s being filled from 500psi to 3000psi.

Submarine:

Well, how about 'transportable' compressor? I don't think that a portable will do it. I have filled tanks for 6-8 divers using a portable Kidde or Stewart Warner (4 cfm) and it is time consuming but doable if there is one dive/day. It depends on the dive schedule. If there are multiple dives per day per person you need some serious (heavy) iron and a portable won't get it. A Capitano weighs around 180 pounds and it only puts out 5 cfm. (Don't believe any other numbers for it. All the compressor manufacturers, those in the SCUBA market, fudge their numbers.) I have a friend who can build a custom Kidde for you, a really nice unit. It produces true 6 cfm and weighs about 110 pounds. I don't recommend it because, although new, something could go wrong and he would be the only source for parts and repair for this particular model which is kind of rare. I'm sure he'll be around for years to come but one never knows. It's a puzzler, for sure.

I own a trailer mouinted unit complete with cascade system and service work bench. bauer unit K14. gas driven.. Consider the amount of usage you want to get out of it, how many tanks you will fill at any one given time.Also consider the filtration system and water separator systems. The cost of these puppies can get high real quick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom