Port options for a Sigma 12-24 wide-angle lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkndivebum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi there -

I'm not the photographer in the family, but She Who Is is upgrading to shooting
her spiffy new D200 under water. I've been assigned the task of figuring out
which housing and ports to get. One question which I have not been able to
answer is if there is a port which will work with her Sigma 12-24mm wide-angle
lens. I already know that it won't work in any of Ikelite's ports, but I'm wondering
if it might in another manufacturers (esp. Sea & Sea).

Much obliged for any advice - which could include "sell the Sigma and get the Nikkor".

I would say sell the Sigma and get the Nikkor, but I'm biased. I love my Nikon 12-24!

I know it works great on a D200 in the Ikelite housing. That's what I'm using with the 8" dome.

There are a lot of folks who like the Tokina 10-17. It's all a matter of what you like.

If you look at the price of housings and ports, you'll probably find it cheaper to get an Ikelite and replace the lens with a Nikon or Tokina than to get a housing from Nexus, Subal, etc.

I have the Sigma 10-20 in a Nexus housing with Athena 170 port and 40mm extension. Uses same zoom gear as 12-24.

I don't really see the Sigma 12-24 mentioned very often. I would recommend the Tokina 12-24. Most reviews say that it is 95% as good as the Nikon for 50% of the cost. I have the Tokina, but I can't really give a good comparison to the Nikon.

I wouldn't base a housing choice around keeping the Sigma.

David

D'oh! You're right I blinked out the sigma part LOL It is the Tokina 12-24 that's common!

But if you have the Sigma and want to house it, you need to talk to Ryan etc who will have most likely come across it or maybe can lay hands on to check things out for you.

Could you guys post the extended size of those lenses, when zoomed/focused out? Is the Tokina an internal focus lens?

I'll see what will fit from our housings, I'm curious.

Jack

Would surprise me if the 8" dome on an Ike housing did not work. That is what I use for the Nikon 12-24 on a D200. Unless the Sigma is quite different in terms of barrel length or width it is likely to work. Give them a call - they are great to deal with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom