Port of Costa Maya and Mahahual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruisegirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I thought I would post some info. on this port as I haven't really seen any good threads with info. for those who might want to know......

While Costa Maya/Mahahual is an upcoming port, it has some decent following. It has primarily started getting some attention and receiving visitors due in part to the cruise ships in the last couple of years. This came about prior to Hurricanes that hit Cozumel but also was being frequented prior to that. This was a substitute port for Cozumel when ships couldn't get there as the Pier was destroyed.

Costa Maya/Mahahual is part fishing village, cruise port and offers diving and many other excursions for cruise ship passengers. They offer shopping and some local hotels as well as there was some wonderful beaches....

How do I know this and why am I posting? Because I went there last year on a cruise that was part of a group of Scuba divers on the Carnival Valor. And I fell in love with this port. To me, it was a wonderful, up/coming port that had people there that just warmed your heart. They embraced/welcomed you to the their little island, their little paradise as they called it. They didn't sell you to death, it's not over commercialized like Cancun or Cozumel. I just felt very "at home" there.....
As divers, I thought some of this community might be interested as to how this town/village is doing. Needless to say,
not well.... They were almost completely destroyed... See photos below.

Shops/businesses were wiped out, homes destroyed, the cruise ship pier is about 80% gone. Which I might add, brings their primary income in. Us, the cruisers. They most likely won't be welcoming cruise ship visitors until late summer to fall 2008.
They had only 3 dive shops that I'm aware of. There was Dreamtime Diving, Blue Ocean Safari and Maya Palms diving. I know Blue Ocean Safari was wiped out. The building was destroyed. Some equipment evacuated but much of it lost. I was told Dreamtime and Maya Palms are wiped out too but haven't yet confirmed it.

I would like to encourage everyone to keep this town in your prayers. They certainly need them. I am planning to donate to relief efforts as I love this little port and would like to see it thriving again. Here are some photos from the village. And if anyone wants to know what it's like to go through a Hurricane, check out this blog. Pretty amazing..... www.portillas.com

View of port/cruise ship dock before
CaribbeanCruise2006407.jpg

same views after
costamayaphotos.jpg

pier before
CaribbeanCruise2006409.jpg

pier after
dock.jpg

lighthouse before
oldlighthouse.jpg

lighthouse after
lighthouse.jpg

Costa Maya beach before
valor257.jpg

Costa Maya beach after
IMG_0611.jpg

beach
IMG_0600.jpg

I too have a soft spot for the little town of Mahahual. I stayed a few day in Aug of '06 at the Mayan Beach Garden. The hotel was beautiful, the owners were fantastic & the diving was great.
The town was hit hard. Without the cruise ship pier, the local economy and people are suffering greatly from this.

Be sure to check out the Xcalak message board.
http://www.xcalak.tv
There are plenty of posts on how to help this area out. Also the dive shop in Xcalak is offering free diving, from Sept. 14 - 21st. If you help with picking up trash in the ocean. Click on the thread - SPLASH FOR TRASH.
Xcalak is hard to get to, but sooo worth it. The diving is amazing. And you will be helping a community that is very much in need!

Here are some photos of the damage, from the Mayan Beach Garden web site:
http://www.costamayalive.com/DEAN.hlm

AND the Mayan Beach Garden web site, for some before pix.
http://www.mayanbeachgargen.com

Thank you cruisegirl for starting this post. I hope it draws some much needed attention and help to this wonderful area in Mexico!

What a drag. I was wondering how things were down there after hearing the town was waist deep in water. My wife is going to cry as she too fell in love with this town a few years ago on a cruise. Very sad deal I hope the family that took us in south of town during a storm is okay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom