Port Hardy Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

creamofwheat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I did end up going to Port Hardy with a couple people. We were there for only 2 days and did only 4 dives, but wow, did it ever spark my appetite for more diving up in that area!! It is gorgeous.

We did 3 shore dives at Bear Cove, one of the only shore diving sites there, we discovered. There is more down in Port McNeill, but we wanted to stay in Port Hardy. So Bear Cove it was, and I was not disappointed.

We were blessed with one of the easiest shore entries I have ever encountered. We simply walked down a boat ramp and into the water. No surface swimming was necessary. We just dropped right down, then headed right, around the breakwater. We were greeted with the site of hundreds of hooded nudibranchs (which was entertaining simply because, as we were driving up there we mentioned that we "might get to see a hooded nudi!!"). They were everywhere. And they weren't the only nudis we saw. Orange ones and white ones and yellow ones and purple ones, little ones and big ones, swimming ones...it was impressive. Also tons of hermit crabs, and little things floating in the water that look like miniature angels, with wings flapping, but I have no idea what those are. We also headded to the left on our second dive here and were greeted again with tons of nudis, hermits, and other such creatures. The site is absolutely teeming with life, visibility was excellent, shore entry easy, and we didn't break 60ft on any of our dives here. Only downside was that I got a little cold (water was a consistent 45˚F).

We also got the chance to hop on a boat and check out Five Fathom Rocks, which is a pinnacle. There is a buoy to ascend and decend on, and navigation was very easy here. Again, we didn't even break 60ft. We encountered some very colourful anemones, many different kinds of rock fish, huge ling cod (we are talking 4-5ft long, some even bigger). And the real thriller of the dive: a pair of wolf eels! I was about to call the dive because I was getting to my "Im too cold" mark, but decided to ait a couple more minutes, and then one of my buddies (we were a trio) spotted the pair hiding in some rocks. I was particularly excited, as I have never seen them before, and I actually let out a squeal of delight when I saw them. They had eggs, and the female was wrapped around them, so we didn't get a chance to interact with them, but I honestly didn't care...I was just so happy to finally see some wolf eels!

At any rate, we all had a great time diving the North Island and seeing some brand new sites. I am hoping to get back up to Port Hardy in the summer and check out some more of the sites that are accessible by boat. I had such a wonderful time!

Port Hardy's on the must-do list. I'm glad to hear you were able to shore dive there.

cjfox, we didn't plan around currents at all. When we first walked into the water at Bear Cove, we were a little concerned because there was quite a pull, but we risked it anyway and discovered that it was only a standing wave, there were no other currents underwater to speak of. As for viz, I am really bad at guessing, but I'd say it was somewhere between 40 and 60ft, which is, in my opinion, quite excellent!

Lynne, there isn't much shore diving, but there are 3 different dives at Bear Cove, and if you feel like a bit of a surface swim, you can shore dive a wall by the ferry launch (Port Hardy to Prince Rupert terminal). You get there by taking the Bear Cove boat ramp and swimming past the breakwater. We didn't do it because we were lazy. :D One thing to note though, is that if you ever want to dive it, you have to time it with the ferry. We don't want to get crushed by it. But I think it only leaves once a day in the morning so it's not that big of a deal. I'd like to try to do it next time I'm up there!

Sounds nice! I'm booked to go out there in April (finally!) :)

I want to go back to Port Hardy. I don't have the budget for big live aboards. Last time I dove with SunFun Divers out of Port McNeil. He has a smaller boat that he can trailer so also does dives out of Port Hardy.

Who did you do the boat dive with and how was the service?

We went with North Island Dive (http://www.northislanddiver.com/) on Market street, next to the water. Markus was very friendly. I will be diving with him again next time I make it up there...hopefully the summer!

Looks interesting.

I had heard that shops in Port Hardy don't do charters at this time of year due to poor weather. I'll have to check them out.

It was a pretty decent day that we went out. Only a bit rainy...no wind or snow or hail or storm or any other such terrible weather. :D

creamofwheat:
So I did end up going to Port Hardy with a couple people. We were there for only 2 days and did only 4 dives, but wow, did it ever spark my appetite for more diving up in that area!! It is gorgeous.

[stuff deleted...]

And the real thriller of the dive: a pair of wolf eels! I was about to call the dive because I was getting to my "Im too cold" mark, but decided to ait a couple more minutes, and then one of my buddies (we were a trio) spotted the pair hiding in some rocks. I was particularly excited, as I have never seen them before, and I actually let out a squeal of delight when I saw them. They had eggs, and the female was wrapped around them, so we didn't get a chance to interact with them, but I honestly didn't care...I was just so happy to finally see some wolf eels!

At any rate, we all had a great time diving the North Island and seeing some brand new sites. I am hoping to get back up to Port Hardy in the summer and check out some more of the sites that are accessible by boat. I had such a wonderful time!
That sounds great, particularly a pair of wolfies with eggs. I've seen one alone before, but never a pair. I gotta get up there some time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom