Port Hardy Trip Report Sept 2-6th/2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm working on the video right now. Picking out the soundtrack. I've already chopped up the footage and gotten out the good stuff. I figure by the weekend I should be able to post it.

Freakin' sweet trip. Best diving I've EVER done (yes, better than warm water diving!)

We spent a week up there in March, and despite weather that did not cooperate very well (hurricane force winds for two days) we got out and did some of the most spectacular diving I have done anywhere in the world.

As I am not a photographer, I'll add THIS link to an ADM article written by two of our companions on the trip. It's amazingly beautiful, topside and underwater, up there at the north end of the island. I need to get back!

Striking a pose with the new Santi, Todd? *I'm too sexy for my suit too sexy for my suit So sexy it hurts...*

Thanks for the report and pictures, guys. Looking forward to the video. I gotta get myself over there....

Very cool pictures, thanks for sharing. I need to go there soon - in my 7-mil wetsuit. What were the water temps?
Water temps were 46-48 f. Most of us got a bit cold on the latter part of the dives in our drysuits. Partially I think we were diving just the right amount of weight. I'll be adding 2-4 lbs to my 24 that I used to be able to have a bit more air in my suit for warmth next time. One of the 10 was diving wet. Todd's son Hunter. Maybe he can comment on his comfort level with a wetsuit? We also have the Hideaway reserved for the labor day weekend next year. We did a 5 day 4 night trip this Sept but may change to a 6 day 5 night for next year. 4 dives a day was exhausting. 3 a day would be perfect.

Mike, be aware that not only is the water cold, but there is NO shelter on the boat, and no hot water available to warm up with. Although the water temperatures were a bit colder when we were there (43 to 45) even in a dry suit, I got EXTREMELY cold sitting on the boat in the wind, waiting for other people to end their dive. And it isn't all that easy to get warm once you get back, either.

And Hunter's suit is not just a 7mm. I have the same suit. It is a two piece so your torso and thighs are under 14mm. For me the suit is comfortable underwater at this temperature. The challenge is when you come out for a surface interval, get cold, and then go back in again. It is particularly challenging during winter when there is no sun or high temperatures to warm you up. A windy day in an unprotected boat would be challenging even during the summer. Before moving to drysuits, I used to carry two thermos with hot tea for core warming during surface intervals.

Yup, definitely dry suit is the way to go. It's amazing what couple of degrees cooler will do. Going from 10 C (50 F) around Vancouver to 8 C (46 F) makes a big difference. What kept me plenty warm around southern BC was downright chilly in Port Hardy. Luckily, I had brought my old fusion dry suit as a back-up, but more importantly, the big thick MK-3 undergarment that goes with it. I thought I wouldn't need it anymore when I switched from the fusion to my crushed neoprene, but after one chilly dive with the MK-2, I pulled out the MK-3 and was ok. Mind you, I had to add back on the 8 lbs I thought I didn't need anymore, but at least I was warm! (I froze my butt off last year in PH with the fusion + MK-3 + every available piece of underclothing I brought, so I am still a big fan of the crushed neoprene).

With the MK-3 crammed under my crushed neoprene, I would stay warm for the typical 45-50 min dives. It's only when I did some longer dives (I think we did 79 min as the longest), would I start getting chilly towards the end.

Striking a pose with the new Santi, Todd? *I'm too sexy for my suit too sexy for my suit So sexy it hurts...*

Thanks for the report and pictures, guys. Looking forward to the video. I gotta get myself over there....

Yeah, gotta admit Todd looks pretty good in that Santi! That's bighiller in the foreground, BTW, also looking pretty handsome!

Here is a red irish lord from the trip with the pink soft co
red_irish_ord_1.JPG
ral.

octo9.JPG

close_up_basket_star.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Rob for showing me how to put up some pics from our Port Hardy trip.
Here are a few more.
Octopus on a night dive
octo_at_night.JPG

Close up of wolf eel
close_up_wolf_eel.JPG

Decorator warbonnet
decorator_warbonnet.JPG

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom