Port Hardy condition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamech

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,

I am thinking of diving port Hardy near end of June. I was wondering if anyone knows what is the vis is like that time of the year?

Also anyone know the absolute best time of the year to visit gods pocket?

Thanks

Viz in the PNW in the summertime is a crap shoot -- algae blooms are cyclic and unpredictable. That said, Port Hardy generally has visibility as good as it gets in our waters, because there is no fresh water to bring particulates in up there. But I have dived certain sites where the visibility on a particular trip has been horrible, and other trips it has been better. There are no guarantees in our green water!

The best time to dive the PNW is the early Fall. September tends to have excellent weather and often superb visibility. Even into early October, it can be nice, although the weather gets chancier, especially up north.

There is no BAD time to dive God's Pocket, unless the weather leaves you resort-bound. The place is lovely, the food is great, the people are fabulous, the service to divers is superb, and the diving . . . well, the diving is extraordinary. I've made three trips up there, and all have been amazing.

We had a great time diving around Port Hardy last September, although the vis was less than everyone had hoped and it rained every day. We're going to God's Pocket in August for hopefully a few dry days. I always hope for great conditions, but anything over five feet vis is great to me.

As others have said, Sept or October is best. November is also good, but you risk storms at that time of year and we get some serious wind on the north island. June the vis can range from 3 to 100 feet - mostly at the low range of that.

Thanks guy for the input. Hopefully it will turnout good. Normally I learn to tolerate the bad vis and work around it to get image with out backscatter. But I just hope all that money spend on the tripes is payed off with good vis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom