Port Douglas "Non-Beginner" diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ToddK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
I had searched around on this topic prior to coming to Australia, but didn't find an answer to this question. I went out today on Posideon from Port Douglas, and the diving was fine, though I was a little disappointed that they seem to treat all the divers as Beginners. Are there any outfits out here where you can just go off with a dive buddy (or god forbid solo), and not be stuck with a guide? Who do the locals use? Any tips?

Thanks!!! -Todd.

Last time I was there I went out with Down Under Dive. They were happy for me to skip the guided dive and do my own thing.

live aboards would be the best bit.

would love to treat everyone according to the level they are qualfied too, but trouble is, a lot of certified divers are purely vacation divers and do not dive regularly. Safety is the main priority and with so many less qualifed divers and inexpereince out there thay have to make sure everyone is safe.

usually a lot better on over night boats and Mike Ball allows solo diving (conditions apply though)

All Port Douglas operators are guided dives, (unless you are a DM/OWSI and then you can talk to Skipper/Supervisor on Poseidon and go as an unguided buddy pair)

Most Cairns operators are unguided with the option to purchase a guide.

Just a difference in market, clientele, service and conditions.

(PS locals use Poseidon :p)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom