Port 2968?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frank O

Contributor
Reaction score
My firewall says that, at the end of a session visiting Scubaboard, my browser is being contacted by an external machine www.divedomain.com on port 2968. It looks from a whois that divedomain.com is part of the Scubaboard world. What's that all about?

I've seen that url on some ads.

Sound like a question for Tech Admin...

All of the ads that finance www.ScubaBoard.com are done via DiveDomain. It makes a lot of sense to patronise those who ads appear so that they can continue to make this site possible. We are about to add TWO more servers to help with the load.

Thanks for the explanation. I think somewhere along the way I also saw a Google Analytics URL flash by when I was accessing Scubaboard, which leads me to believe you all are using their visitor analysis package. But how does a browser contact via port 2968 support the ads? Mind you I don't necessarily have an issue with this, I just wanted to understand it better to determine if there might be any problem with leaving my PC open to it. When I first saw the port 2968 contact I thought perhaps it might be a red flag of a virus on divedomain.com (which wouldn't seem to be the case).

This may change as we move to the new Server configuration. Up until now the Web interface and Data server have been connected via a serial cable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom