Popularity of Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can't get world class diving for a cheaper price. Sure there's better places but they cost two or three times as much. I've been there 6 times in two years and can't wait to go back

Chuck and I returned from a wonderful week of diving on May 27th, and can't wait to get back.
We stay at an AI and basically dive our butts off. When we weren't doing 3 boat dives daily, we were renting tanks and doing night dives on the shallow cove available at the Hotel Cozumel. (For $6.00, this is the best dive ever! Every night offers octopus, squid, balls of schooling baitfish, yellow rays, and more. )
We try to walk to town only on Sunday...the cruise ships aren't in on Sunday and the merchants know you are divers. You still get lots of invitations, but our experience is that merchants are more gentle in their approach if they know you aren't an 8-hour visitor. We broke our rule and went to town on Monday this year...I felt mauled by the same folks who generally give me a pleasant, welcoming smile, and a gentle invitation into their shop. I found myself being what I think of as "typically American":avoiding eye-contact and saying "no gracious" as I walked off. It made me feel as if I was being disrespectful, but it was the only way to navigate the front streets on a cruise-ship day.
Although our hotel is AI, we often eat out on the nights that we are not night diving. We have found some great restaurants, including Tony Romes, and we visit them as often as we can. We
We love the diving in Coz....we haven't been spoiled (yet) by going to the South Pacific and we can get to Cozumel more quickly than we can drive to Virginia Beach. We love the diving there - the reefs are wonderful and filled with beauty.
To each his own, but for us Cozumel can't be beat!

Meg :)

Jim Baldwin:
I have to echo what the others have said. Are my wife and I addicted to Cozumel. You could say that. We have dove in others places like Cayman, Jamacia, Costa Rica and all over Florida.

We have been to Cozumel 15 times and now own a home there. Because the reefs are swept by currents so much of the coral and sponges look like they're on steroids compared to some place like Grand Cayman.

There are such a variety of reefs to dive from deep walls to flat reefs. The current is something that you get used to. And unlike the Cayman Islands where banking is the #1 business, diving is the #1 business in Cozumel.

The dollar vs. the pesos makes diving cheaper there. If I just wanted cheap I could go to Lake DeGray in Southern Arkansas which is only a two hour drive or Destin, Fl.

When you get just two or three blocks back off the main square you will find the people very friendly and they're not standing outside hawking their wares.

Back on 30th and 65th you will find small places to eat. This is where the residents of Cozumel eat. From our house it's a block to three restatuants. Plastic chairs, tables, and ceiling fans. The food is excellent and you need to know a little Spanish.

Here ! Here ! I have been to Coz 4 years in a row ! I have been diving to other destinations but I keep going back. BTW, does anyone by chance have the number to the Hotel Barracuda ?
Thanx for your response in advamce.

Good Viz,
George

Cozumel is rated the #2 dive destination in the world next to the Great Barrier Reef, and although you will get some to differ, it lives up to it's reputation.

For most of us in the US and especially those of us in Texas, it's a very convienient destination as well. From Dallas it's a little over a 2 hour plane ride and your getting wet! I can't even get to the Florida Keys in that amount of time.

The diving is exceptional, protected coral reefs with soft and hard corals and sponges of every color and sea life to inspire any level of diver. My wife came up after her first dive there and said "Wow! it's like being in a National Geographic magazine!" still one of the best discritions I've ever heard. I've been diving for over 20 years and still get a thrill every time I hit the water there. All the reefs are protected national parks and the dive industry is doing all they can to to preserve them for years to come. Jacques Cousteau would be proud.

It's still relativley inexspensive for the most part, compared to other dive destinations. Although I do realize this depends on what part of the country or world your coming from, but once your there, the price of lodging depends on how much you want to spend & how many "bells & whistles" you want with your room. 1 to 5 star, all-inclusive or not, B&B's, condos, houses to rent, it's all there.

The people are wonderful. I love the mexican people and although my spanish is almost non-existant, I really do try, I get along famously with everyone I meet. I even can tolerate most of the tourists, even pod people, they're fun to watch!

I love the food also, again here you can go from very cheap taco stands to upscale and spend from $5 for a meal up to $100+ and get good food either direction. The choices are growing so fast every year that I'm getting to the point I'm not making every favorite place on every trip.

I'm sure this is one of those treads that will end up with 7 or 8 pages, because all of us Cozumel lovers have a lot to say about our favorite dive spot.

Thanks to everyone for the marvelous replies. Looks like a place I'll have to add to my list.

New Rule:

If you dived or will dive in Coz this year you are not allowed back until you have traveled to 5 other locations that are at least the same distance from where you live.

Leave room there for me :D

Us pirates are always breaking rules...I'll have to add this one to my list.

It's not really a "RULE", it's more of a "GUIDELINE". Is this where I ask for a parley?

Back
Top Bottom