pop ups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spyware bites. :gator:
I have a terrible case of it, and ironically, I got some spyware virii and one of those undeletable hijackers by downloading Adaware from a disreputable site. Be very careful where you get your anti-spyware thingy. What I have now on my home comp messes with my cookies and often interferes with my reading SB. I have not gotten around to it due to my wedding and the flooding of my house, but I will have to format the hard drive and start over with this infernal machine. I have done exhasutive research, and can't delete them. There is no other apparent way to get rid of this crapola than to take drastic measures.

Sue...

Just check out support.microsoft.com (NO www in front) and look in their knowledge base. You will find various articles about these malignant hijackers and how to deal with them. Not for the faint of heart, as you must use regedit.

I use the Avant Browser, free and a popup blocker.........it even blocks the mail popup.

Thanks, Pete, my husband and I waded through that site, and while informative, we could not find the offending files in the registry. They are certainly there, but we can't get to them. It's like they have built in a cloaking device. It's no big thing since we are networked here at home for me to just start over. This laptop is relativey new (just set it up in Ma or June). They're clever little monsters, these people that write this stuff.

Pop ups suck.
I had a raging pop up roblem earlier this week on 2 of my computers. I haven't checked my third yet. My computers are slow compared to todays computer. My personal computer was so bad the pop ups would lock up my CPU. I thought that I would have to re format my hard drive also since I had a few bad past experiences with viruses. Instead I downloaded a free spyware program Spyware Doctor and Pop Jammer. SW Dr found 607 infections on my computer alone !! It fixed all but 15 and PJ fixed all but 5.
I then abandoned Internet (Destroyer) Explorer 6 for Opera 7 a free web browser that claims to be the fastest web browser out.
I don't know about that but I can tell you this. I like it a hell of a lot more than IE6. Nice ergonomics, easy to customize, e-mail, Google, easy to transfer bookmarks and a built in pop up blocker program.
So far no problems and I'm happy with the results. My bro in law runs Linux and has been trying to get me to do so also for quite awhile. May have to take him up on it.
What ever you do only use format as a last resort. I'd also tell you to back up your computer every once and awile. But I NEVER have and will most likely pay the price some day.

Good Luck Jeff

Back
Top Bottom