Poor viz diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
. . . is that muck diving? and ...How deep would you dive in 10 ft. viz?

Yes indeed, that is muck diving.

So far I haven't dived deeper than 200 ft. in 10 ft. viz., but it's not the viz that has stopped me from going deeper. Depth is depth, it is independent from viz -- except when I'm unsure whether my dive buddy for the day is good enough to stay right with me for the whole dive. It is a real pain to get to depth and have to abandon the dive because your buddy has disappeared from sight.

theskull

are there some people that are fine in 150 plus that just cannot adjust, mentally?

Typical viz in some sites locally are in the 10-15ft range, and extremely poor would be about 1 ft. There are some dives where I cannot see my hand if it is too far away. It's just a matter of getting used to reduced viz diving and developing a comfort level with it. When it's more than 15ft that the viz is good. And it's a real treat when I go down south and it's 100+ ft.

catherine96821:
are there some people that are fine in 150 plus that just cannot adjust, mentally?

Of course. Everyone is different. If you are going to dive in low viz and don't think you will be comfy at first, if at all, make sure you try it out with good support and in an environment where that is the primary hazard - you don't want to go low viz, under the ice, in a new dry suit, with a heavy current in a kelp forrest next to a jagged metal wreck, for instance :wink:

It's the same thing as low viz divers who freak out in clear blue water...just the reverse!

I get agoraphobic when the vis is really good. I was DM in a pool that was so clean, I could have counted the 1 inch tiles on the walls, from the center of the pool. I had the urge to scream through my reg and try to find something to hide under.

There are also sulphur layers that I swear absorb light. They form a distinct layer that is clear, but dark- like diving in tea. The beam from my light goes about 2' and then seems to stop. It's a very odd feeling- I had to shine my light on my fins just to check the vis- and I could barely see them, but not from the haze.

Then there are the rare days when the vis is good, and you can see all at once, all the images that you'e been piecing together in your head.

Personally, Good vis is great, but I don't mind cr@ppy vis.

We dive in anything from 5 feet up here. I typically don't dive if I have a hard time seeing my fins.

catherine96821:

Everyone with whom I have dived to depth of 150 plus has had no trouble adjusting to low viz diving. You just learn to trust your depth gauge rather than visual cues as to how deep you are.

theskull

Sometimes, it can be creepy floating down in a green mist (or brown in freshwater). I did a dive in West Palm Beach to 97 feet and the viz was about 10 feet. The water was a little colder than I would have liked in my 3 mm suit, my mask leaked because I was wearing a new hood and it could have become stressful. I had to clamp my mind around fixing my leak, keeping my buddy in sight, monitoring my depth without any visual cues. When I reached the reef, things were decidedly better and I was able to enjoy the dive.

I have done shallower dives in bad viz where I've swum under the boat, unable to see it or the anchor line. That can be stressful when you can't locate your exit point.

I would much prefer diving in good viz.

alcina:
Of course. Everyone is different. If you are going to dive in low viz and don't think you will be comfy at first, if at all, make sure you try it out with good support and in an environment where that is the primary hazard - you don't want to go low viz, under the ice, in a new dry suit, with a heavy current in a kelp forrest next to a jagged metal wreck, for instance :wink:

It's the same thing as low viz divers who freak out in clear blue water...just the reverse!

Cool! Where can I find this site? My dream dive!

theskull

redhatmama:
I have done shallower dives in bad viz where I've swum under the boat, unable to see it or the anchor line. That can be stressful when you can't locate your exit point.

I did a dive on New Year's day in Lake Michigan where I ended up in the wild green yonder. I lost the boat during my deco stops (the mooring came off the wreck), and, coincidentally, I forgot the spool for the liftbag (yeah, I know!). I was adrift in this amazing green water that was eriely calming. I could see waves breaking the surface above me, and just green all around- no sides, no bottom, just green. Of course not knowing where the boat was, or even if I was drifting or not, really sucked, but what I wouldn't give for some of that green water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom