Poor Knights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys,

Me and my girlfriend will be diving at the poor knights (22-24 jan)as well. We booked a liveaboard with Ocean Blue. It will be the start of a (hopefully) one year world trip and ofcourse we are looking forward to it!

After the poor knights, we will be in NZ for another 6 weeks, before heading to Australia. I see that some of you have a lot of knowledge regarding NZ diving, so can you give me any tips for the southern island of NZ?

Above I can see that the Mikhail Lermontov in the Marlborough Sounds is a "must do". wich dive center(s) have this "on their menu"??

And does steward island has any good options??

We will be bringing our own gear (except tanks and weights) and diving in colder water won't be a problem since we are usualy diving in the Netherlands with water temperatures between 9-17 °C

I've heard Manapouri in the deep south is interesting and unique. Apparently there's a fresh water layer near the surface so the sea plants near the surface are usually only found in deep water. I'm hoping to dive there next time I visit my parents in NZ.

Dave

For those who think Oz is the only place to go dive, I agree North Island diving can be unexpectedly good! We've had the pleasure of diving Bay of Islands, Volkner Rocks and White Island, and more than once at Poor Knights, as we love the spectacular underwater scenery / caverns (driving a forty-two footer into Rikoriko cave in daytime and doing a night dive gives you an idea of how large these can get), and the great critters (who can resist the blue eyes of a blue-eyed triplefin looking up at you from its algal bed?) like boarfish, some Sandager's wrasse following you around, large short-tailed stingrays...

Glen Edney of OceanBlue will guide you to the critters, Dive! Tutukaka will give you a comfortable ride out there and let you do your own thing (don't be put off by the snorkelers, kayakers and trainees aboard - they sort it all out quite well; Jeroen Jongejans knows what he is doing at D!T). Hey, you can't resist - Poor Knights is one of the fifty or so places Jacques-Yves Cousteau called one of the top ten places to dive. :D

(We like April - water is as warm as it will be, 5mm is quite doable and moreso with a vest, prices for accommodation are low as it is shoulder season, and the fish are still there. For those who drive on the "other" side of the road, it's still easy to rent a car - we usually use Rent-a-Dent and have been quite satisfied.)

images

Irresistibly cute Blue-eyed Triplefin​

My recommendation for southern diving is Milford Sound, it is an iconic place above the water and the chance to dive it is worth taking. I posted a report here - the diving is relatively tightly controlled but for sheer majesty I don't think I have had a better day's diving.

Alison

If you find your way up as far as Bay of Island? I'm close to Matauri bay and always open for a dive buddy.
I have a 4 metre RIB that I explore around the Cavalli Islands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom