Poor diving techniques I noticed during this week's trip.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The thread has been reopened. Please try to stay on topic to the OP.

I read the whole article expecting to find something concluding that the practice caused anything at all, and all I found was conjecture and an isolated incident of probable DCI without an obvious cause. Was it his potential dehydration causing the symptoms? DCI from having a bounce profile? DCI from dehydration? DCI from not doing recommended safety stops? Personal medical factors? I don't know. What I do know is that it doesn't suggest to me that the tons of dives done every year by people with bounce profiles is likely to be a high-risk dive, all other things being equal. Just as it doesn't suggest to me that drinking coffee before diving is going to result in an otherwise safe rec dive being high-risk.

I'm certainly not going to change my habit of taking an otherwise safe peek on those rare dives when I don't come right back to the boat and want to make sure I'm heading toward it going back.

I'd guess there's a difference between popping up once to take a compass bearing, then descending a few meters to swim back to the boat, and popping up repeatedly because you really have no clue about where you are nor where you're going.

To me, the former doesn't seem worse than descending immediately after surfacing to complete a missed deco stop.

I meant 720: mea culpa. Though, it might be more like a 760 when I am done. :D

I do a quick circle just as I start up and a much slower one during the ascent. But I listen. I listen hard.

I was trained to corkscrew up at least 360, and since the safety stop hadent been invented, I started deeper than 15' so I could get in a couple of rotations. Although some say sound is non-directional underwater, that is not precisely the case.

Bob

I’ve discovered it’s much more enjoyable to just post on FB within one’s own circle about the really bad and/or arrogant divers. No confrontations on the boat/at the quarry and one can be as sarcastic as one desires without anyone getting their knickers in a really bad twist.
I’m always wary of criticising others when they don’t know about it behind their back. You’re not helping them become better. It also breeds negativity even if it’s only meant to warn people of diving practices, personal insults often come along with that....

Swimming 75 yds is easy, except against a current or towing another diver.

It's extremely difficult to maintain neutral buoyancy at those depths. Not only does the pressure gradient change much faster at those shallow depths, but one large breath and before you know it, you're popping to the surface, one long exhale and you're stirring up the bottom.
Her buoyancy was fine. She had no problems maintaining depth. She was just much older and out of shape. She couldn’t keep up with the group and we weren’t even moving fast. Once we reached shore she was huffing and puffing as if she had run a marathon. She admitted as much that she overestimated her fitness at that time

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

closed for review

I’ve played sports at a fair high level all my life and have watched lots of people struggle with things that they don’t know! My approach is always to ask if they mind a suggestion. If they say no, I tell them what they’re doing wrong and suggest how they might fix it, if they’re not interested, they always let me know!

I'm compiling video of last weeks trip.

Here's a quick video of my coral kicking, fin dragging instabuddy using a handhold.

You should have another look at that video, looks like your buddy is struggling to drag that flag against a surface current while you aimlessly swim away, he's probably on facebook telling about the bad buddy that swam away and left him struggling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom