Question Pool to do some weight checks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amzlek

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello from Portland.
I got myself a BP+W and I'm looking for a space to spend time figuring out my setup and tuning my weighting before going for an actual dive (and blowing most of my time making it work). Anybody has some places to recommend ? (Ideally not to hot so I don't get a heat stroke while wearing my thick wetsuit).

You realise that if you adjust your weighting to perfection in a freshwater pool, you will still need to adjust it for saltwater when you jump into the ocean?

I think Aquatic Sports & Thunder Reed Dive shops have their own pool. If you aren't buying gear, I'm not sure what's required to gain access to them, but you can ask.

Otherwise Battle Ground Lake up in Vancouver is a completely boring lake that can be useful for drills and equipment testing. I used it a couple times to get used to my dry suit. Maxes out at I think 60 feet, but yeah, this week, might give you head stroke in our weather. lol.

Like Stiebs pointed out, you'll still need to do some adjustments before heading up to the sound.

Yes, for sure I'll have to adjust, but at that point, I dont even have a baseline to adjust from. (Plus I may try clear lake, so there's that)
Battleground is probably a good option once we get out of the furnace.
I'll ping the dive stores you mentioned to see if they are providing access to their pools and update.
Thanks

Quick update / follow up:
The pool rentals run around $50 for 1h+ (I contacted Thunder Reef and Aquatic Sport). Availability is somewhat limited at "useful" time slots (which is when understandably they are running their classes)
Testing cold water equipment when it's 90°+ is an adventure (at least there was no sun indoor, and I had some breeze from the store AC. )
And it's a good thing I did that, because my memory would have failed me and I would have been over weighted by quite a lot. Now to find where/when to go splash nearby.
Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom