Pony tanks/secondary air supply

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Discussions always head off in other directions, and I'm glad they do. I did my IANTD course here in Belize when we brought two leading instructor trainers down from the US to teach a group of police & other public workers - I'm desperately trying to remember their names! One of them actually wrote the manual. The course took 6 days of pretty intensive work, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've never used it since, though the techniques employ basic good diving control techniques. I used to refer to my manuals, which comprised the IANTD manual and all my course notes & PSD dive plans, until the whole lot vanished some time ago when I was robbed. I can't believe a thief (who was well known to me) would have wanted them - more likely he just wanted to deprive me of them, as that would fit with several other things he did.

I don't know whether IANTD is still in that business or not, as I fell out with them when they took the side of the thief! But PSD is PSD so I can't believe any other manual is much different in its essentials. It was a very good manual. Do you know if there's anything substantive on the web that I can read/download, to refresh my memory?

We use pony system on all dives unless we are on surfice supply and then we still have a small bailout. Our SOG is written this way so that under any problem we can pass our pony or recive a pony until a "safty diver" can bring down a contingency setup down the tether line or fix what ever problem exist. We also use com's on every dive and always have the "safty diver" at 90% in the water. This may seem like overkill but our area is mostly small sinks with tons of snags. By the way we are sheriffs dept. so recovery is our main task. I could see this being changed for other teams with different goals.

Discussions always head off in other directions, and I'm glad they do. I did my IANTD course here in Belize when we brought two leading instructor trainers down from the US to teach a group of police & other public workers - I'm desperately trying to remember their names! One of them actually wrote the manual. The course took 6 days of pretty intensive work, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've never used it since, though the techniques employ basic good diving control techniques. I used to refer to my manuals, which comprised the IANTD manual and all my course notes & PSD dive plans, until the whole lot vanished some time ago when I was robbed. I can't believe a thief (who was well known to me) would have wanted them - more likely he just wanted to deprive me of them, as that would fit with several other things he did.

I don't know whether IANTD is still in that business or not, as I fell out with them when they took the side of the thief! But PSD is PSD so I can't believe any other manual is much different in its essentials. It was a very good manual. Do you know if there's anything substantive on the web that I can read/download, to refresh my memory?

Hi Peter
I'm not aware of anything on the web with complete explanations but this book is probably the most in depth look at procedures and methodology that is readily available to anyone with an interest
Public Safety Diving

You can also get it through amazon if you want to go that route

mark

Back
Top Bottom