pony reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

are you willing to service the reg if needed? used apeks atx40/ds4, conshelf xiv supreme, or arctic/glacia are your sealed options

if you don't mind packing grease into a piston, mk5/mk10 with a 109/156/g250

if they pop up, the beuchat vx iceberg or zeagle work also but they are less common.

atomic and newer scubapro will most likely be expensive enough that you might as well pick up a new deep 6 dgx reg instead.

looking to buy a pony bottle here pretty quick and looking for recommendations on regs for it?
Used Scubapro Mk2. Bulletproof. Whatever second it comes with, serviced and properly tuned. If you flood your reg after pressurizing and turning it off, a piston will fare better than a diaphragm if you need that air.

The reg we make for DGX is a great value option for stage regs. I believe they have them priced at $259-299, complete, depending on chosen SPG.

You said it's for a pony. To me, that means it's something you will only use in an emergency, OOA, situation. I.e. hopefully, you'll never actually breathe off it.

I think this rig from DGX would be perfectly fine for that, and no real reason to spend more. $179, complete, ready to dive:

DGX O2 Deco Regulator Package

If it was for a deco bottle (i.e. you planned to use it - as in, actually breathe off it - regularly), then I think the swivel turret would make the extra money for this setup worth it. $259:

DGX Custom - Deep Six DGX Bailout Reg Package

You said it's for a pony. To me, that means it's something you will only use in an emergency, OOA, situation. I.e. hopefully, you'll never actually breathe off it.

I think this rig from DGX would be perfectly fine for that, and no real reason to spend more. $179, complete, ready to dive:

DGX O2 Deco Regulator Package

If it was for a deco bottle (i.e. you planned to use it - as in, actually breathe off it - regularly), then I think the swivel turret would make the extra money for this setup worth it. $259:

DGX Custom - Deep Six DGX Bailout Reg Package
Well yes it’s for a pony but I’d probably use it regularly just to get familiar with it and not worry about an OOA situation where it’s not an “automatic” switch
It’s not for a stage or deco bottle by any means.
Thanks guys!

We look at it a little differently. We travel with the pony and use an Aqualung Mikron din. Its lightweight and takes up very little room.

Stuart, that makes no sense to swap the usage of those two regs. A pony may be needed deep where you are better off with a higher performance reg. Especially since op is diving the pnw. deco bottle of O2 will not be used deeper than 20ft, so a mk2 or clone is fine. That is the reasoning why the packages are the way they are.

Stuart, that makes no sense to swap the usage of those two regs. A pony may be needed deep where you are better off with a higher performance reg. Especially since op is diving the pnw. deco bottle of O2 will not be used deeper than 20ft, so a mk2 or clone is fine. That is the reasoning why the packages are the way they are.

I have not used that particular reg, but it's a flow-through piston, and it only needs to flow enough for one person, not 2 people plus a BC inflator.

I would expect it to be perfectly fine at any recreational depth. The second stage is a Deep6 balanced adjustable. It will be fine. Why spend more for a pony bottle? That's a serious question. I'm not a regulator expert. If there is a legit reason why that setup wouldn't be good as a pony reg, I hope someone will explain why.

And the best part is the DGX return policy. The OP could try it and return it at any time, if he doesn't like it.

Back
Top Bottom