pony reg & spg configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3500PSI

Reaction score
i just got my reg and spg for my pony and am curious to where to put the spg. Should i have it on the same side as the reg or vise versa?

config #1
spg and reg on same side.
(if i had to pass it off for some reason the hoses would not snag on one of my hoses)

config #2
spg and reg on different sides like primary reg and computer.

Another thing i am trying to figure out is where to mount the pony on the tank band, top band or bottom band? i am attaching the pony to the tank with:
http://quickdrawbracket.com/news.ivnu

to be more specific should the top of my pony 1st stage be parrellel with the top of my primary 1st stage or lower?

or is their no "correct" setup and just stick everything where its easiest

pictures of your setups would be greatly appreciated.

IMO the best way to carry a pony is stage slung. There is a good description with pictures at the diverite webpage. The merits of stage slinging a pony have been beat to death. A Scubaboard search on "pony stage slung" will provide insight.

Mike

i recently went on a dive with a friends pony bottle and his bottle was 13 cu foot like mine and it was set up to use the CETACEA X-bracket and i went diving with it set up in about oh mabey about 100 degrees from the right side
and it never got caught on any lkelp when i dove from my kyack with my friend who owned the bottle. and it was pretty comfortable for me. (we went out around horse head reef.)

now slinging might be better for some of you but i prefer to have it out of the way because im a big fan of spearfishing and lobster diving.
i wouldnt want a slung bottle between me some rocks which would could possibly damage the equipment.

i have ruled out slinging the pony like a stage bottle because i feel it will get in the way. I know this may cause some controversy but have ruled it out. Please dont flame because of it.

I would not worry too much - the flames go out as soon as you are under the water.

Despite the current trend to technify everything, tank mounting a pony is actually a good configuration for recreational diving. It keeps the pony out of the way and as long as it is tucked in fairly close to the BC in the corner between the tank and BC meet it will be quite snag resistant. Tank mounting the pony also allows placement of the second stage in the same location as an octopus which can be an asset if you get stuck with the buddy of the day on a dive boat.

Alternatively you can route the hose to the second stage over your right shoulder. This would allow the SPG to be clipped to a suitable D-ring on the right side with the hose under your arm and would prevent any interference between the LP and HP hoses.

I also think the second stage is more accessible to you in a hurry if it is not routed under your arm. And this is, in my opinion, important as in both of the two air sharing situations I have been involved in the other diver pulled the primary right out of my mouth. (Not at all like the swim up and give the out of air sign stuff you see in training) So whether you believe in donating your primary or not, the odds are you will be donating your primary with zero advanced notice and will have to use your own alternate second stage.

I think it works better to mount the pony high on the tank for hose routing purposes so I would mount it on the upper band.

as well. Be sure to counter weight the opposite side a bit for balance. I like the Scuba Pro mini spg which I have comming over my left shoulder and it sits by the power inflator where you can see it easily. The top band will likely work best. I like brackets that are cam band independant, but that's personal choice. If you put a swivel (I like the SP) on the 2nd stage, you can route the hose under your right arm next to your body where it's not in harms way. I keep the reg on a bungee around my neck, same as my tech rigs, always close at hand, and out of harms way also.

Darlene

I mount my pony inverted, ie with the valve at the bottom. The SPG is routed to the right and clipped to my BC, the regulator hose is looped up the pony and secured with two rubber bands (strips cut from old inner tubes work well). The regulator sits alongside the valve, on my right hip. If I need to deploy it, I can reach down and just pull it out. It keeps things neat and tidy, and reduces the number of hoses that need routing. It's better to use a longer 1.5m hose, though it's ok for me on a 1m hose - depends how big you are, I guess.

The pony is my bail out, so access for my buddy is not an issue - he can use the octo from my main tank that's clipped to my BC at the front, or take the reg from my mouth :wink:

Having used my pony both ways. I prefer slung on my right side. Easy to see. Easy to use. Easy to pass. Take it from me you want it to be right there when you need it. Also you don't even feel it in front of you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom