Pony Bottle / Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People put down “feeling more comfortable knowing the pony is there” using various reasons. However, if a diver is less anxious he will be more likely to have a thinking response to an emergency as opposed to an immediate action which in and of itself will increase survival.

Proper use of the pony includes practicing switching between it and primary and or octo including periodically doing mask off switching drills (when the water is warm enough.) It also includes using the same level of attention to the pony including checking everything, including two breaths while watching the SPG, normal maintenance, etc. Used as such one is not likely to misuse it, breathe from the wrong one, forget to open the valve, etc. It also true that if one wears it all the time as opposed to occasionally, it is more likely to be used properly in an emergency, not less likely.

New divers including my not too distant past want the pony because they are afraid of being out of air and not making it to the surface. As time and learning go on, one becomes more concerned with avoiding the scenario which might result in rising to the surface in a manner and time frame that will significantly increase the risk of DCS. At this point the reason for a 19 cu ft pony or larger (as opposed to a spare air) becomes self evident.

Additional task loading is all pre-dive, and I do not notice the supposed extra drag of my 19 cu ft back mounted pony and its tiny Aeris Ion secondary reg mounted in the triangle. (And who’s racing anyway?) I carry two extra lbs on the left to balance the rig.

Placing confidence for living or dying in one single set of equipment, or in buddies who may be skilled or unskilled, attentive or not, familiar or strangers, is something that in my mind is reserved for a situation where there is no available or reasonable secondary backup system. In a situation where a pony is cheap, easily used, really very little hassle, and gives a definitive backup to both of the above issues, to me it simply seems logical. Becoming a bubble wrapped couch potato or alternatively living in denial does not.

I would not own a car without seat belts and airbags. Before airbags came to be, I happily bought cars without them. As technology creates more ways to easily protect against unforeseen catastrophe, then it makes sense to utilize them. Yes, I know, the statistical chance of dying or suffering DCS If I were to not have the pony is tiny. However, to me and perhaps a few others in this world, the importance of that one tiny little possibility is astronomical.:D

Last edited:
I use a back mounted 13 pony mainly when I dive solo from shore. If I dive with with a dependable buddy I'd rather not add the pony because it is extra hassle. I have to adjust my weights to account for the off center weight of the pony. Perhaps just slinging it in front would be easier but I've not tried this and don't even have the hardware for it.

The pony is also a good idea when boat diving and you get assigned to a stranger, or worse yet to a couple. I've had some useless buddies this way.

Adam

although i would never use spare air myself, i am inclined to think that some air is better than no air. with that being said, it is best however to get a system that actually works like a pony. this of course assumes that you are using the extra air to complement and not replace essential skills and training as pointed numerous times in this forum.
i myself dont dive with a pony because of the nature of diving i do. aslo we here in the philippnes are lucky enough to have cheap dm services for almost every dive. if i did more challenging dives however i would require myself to get a pony, even with a trusted buddy and dm in tow.

just my 2 psi

how about just forget about the Octo, and Pony....Just Dive doubles, 2 compleate seperate regs, and twice the air, i will not go into details on the benifits of doubles, but its worth it, plus diving doubles just looks cooler too...also you may consider a large capacity tank such as a HP 130, or LP 121, and dive it single, but with an "H" or "Y" type valve.... just a thought...

:popcorn:

I'll see your :popcorn: and raise you a :coffee:!

Proper use of the pony includes practicing switching between it and primary and or octo including periodically doing mask off switching drills (when the water is warm enough.) It also includes using the same level of attention to the pony including checking everything, including two breaths while watching the SPG, normal maintenance, etc. Used as such one is not likely to misuse it, breathe from the wrong one, forget to open the valve, etc.

I admire this way of thinking.

Last edited:
I would drop the octo with a pony.

Why? I've seen this setup in practice and I can't understand it. You're just further limiting access to your gas supply. What happens if your primary craps out and doesn't result in a free flow? You could have a full tank on your back but no access to it because you decided to put your octo on a pony. Then instead of access to say 40 or 50 cf of gas, I've got 19 (or worse) 13.

This seems counter-intuitive with all the talk about redundancy and "playing it safe" by carrying a pony.

how about just forget about the Octo, and Pony....Just Dive doubles, 2 compleate seperate regs, and twice the air, i will not go into details on the benifits of doubles, but its worth it, plus diving doubles just looks cooler too...also you may consider a large capacity tank such as a HP 130, or LP 121, and dive it single, but with an "H" or "Y" type valve.... just a thought...

I will stick with my asymetrical independent doubles:D.

Still 2 completely separate regulators and more than enough air in either tank to ascend from my planned dive depths. Add in the ability to travel with ease (if you lived in west Texas, you too would travel as much as possible) and rent tanks anywhere, dive from any boat, you have a winning combination for moderate depth diving.

Why? I've seen this setup in practice and I can't understand it. You're just further limiting access to your gas supply. What happens if your primary craps out and doesn't result in a free flow? You could have a full tank on your back but no access to it because you decided to put your octo on a pony. Then instead of access to say 40 or 50 cf of gas, I've got 19 (or worse) 13.

This seems counter-intuitive with all the talk about redundancy and "playing it safe" by carrying a pony.

This resembles what I've read about the thinking behind independent doubles. With a single reg on each of two tanks, you have the simplest possible setup. If whatever you're breathing fails, you breathe from the other and END THE DIVE IMMEDIATELY. Since your only reserve is whatever is in the tank you aren't breathing, you never enter a situation where that isn't enough for you to make a safe exit from the dive.

I see some value in that, especially being a new diver who could make mistakes. If I carried a pony, I would probably necklace its regulator and put a singe long hose on my back gas. No matter how stressed or narc'd I was, the procedure would always be simple: If my primary failed, switch to the backup reg under my chin. If I needed to donate gas, donate my primary, switch to the backup, and end the dive.

If I didn't want to remove a regulator when switching between single tabnk and single tank + pony diving, I could always roll up the backup on my primary and bungee it out of sight and reach. That way the setup as I perceive it when diving would always be identical.

You might ask why I'd have a regulator I couldn't use on the dive, and my answer would be that I never want to have my primary fail and reach for a secondary that doesn't work under stress.

Of course, you might also ask why I don't just dive independent or manifolded doubles. The answer can be easily gleaned from my profile: I have no business learning the nine failures and complex valve drills until I'm rock solid handling single tank diving under a wide variety of scenarios. And that, dear friends, is why although I ask a lot of questions and push back on arguments I find unconvincing, I stop well short of criticizing anyone else's choice.

Back
Top Bottom