Pony bottle setup/config

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lindner514 once bubbled...
Sorry, what does "slung like a stage" mean? I use a camera on every dive...I would be using the pony for solo diving...does someone make an attachment device, that is easy to change...and that has a built in counterweight...finally,what is wrong with routing the regulator and SPG (clipped to the regulator) under the right arm like an octo.

Slinging it like a stage implies that you rig the pony bottle as a stage bottle and attach it to D-rings on your shoulder and waist straps. This isnormaly done with BP and harness but many recreational BC's are now being made with D-rings in the locations required for this.

Built in counter weights are not available but this can be managed by differential loading of integrated weight pouches or by adding a trim weight 2 to 4 lbs) to the tank strap on the opposite side formt he pony or to a BC pocket on the opposite side. Loading your weight belt assymetrically normally just results in it rotating around your waist.

There is nothing wrong with back mounting the pony and routing the hose under your arm like an octo. Routing it over your right shoulder and clipping it like an octo is better as it is easier to deploy. Back mounted ponies are not popular with most tech divers but it makes excellent sense for a rec diver who is not hung up on DIR to back mount their air filled pony bottle.

An SPG on the pony is considered optional by most rec divers but adds a certain level of saftey if you don't mind the extra hose. I f you do not use an SPG, you should use on of the smaller first stage mounted button sized SPG's to ensure the tank is full prior to the dive, or check it with an SPG designed for that purpose.

I dive with a pony, some of the time.

19 cu ft bottle, attached to my tank strap via (separable) aluminum blocks, peanut size SPG on the first stage, install my octy second stage, mount second stage on my chest (just like I do when I'm diving without the pony).

I use the pony if (1) I'm diving solo or (2) I'm diving with total strangers and conditions look potentially rough.

The pony is there in case my first stage fails, a hose fails, the tank neck o ring breaks, the first stage mount o ring fails, the pressure relief disk on the tank fails, or whatever. These events aren't part of my dive plan and neither is actual use of my pony.

The only time I've used the pony in the water is during safety stops, checking it out.

Sling it? Give me a break. Then it's another !#@$ing thing to handle during the dive. You can sling it if you want to but I see NO advantage to slinging it and lots of downside.

Go with doubles? Again, give me a break. My air consumption rate is about 0.3 to 0.4 SCFM. What the heck do I need doubles?

Ponys are stupid? Again, give me a break. You guys probably don't like computers either.

You got your style. I got mine.

Enjoy your diving!

i solo a lot so i have a pony. 19cf i found a good size for rec dives...valve off, mounted to the tank,upside down so i can easily reach the tap. I was in the marshall islands a few years back and met one guy who dove with a pony that had a little air jet on a second hose. I asked him why he said he was cruised by sharks and it shot out a bubble column and made a whistling sound that drove the sharks away. Apparently their hearing is very sensitive and loud pressure in the water warns away every type of fish. I checked out his little air jet gun, and he had a spare which he sold me cheap. I thought it was quite cool, so when diving a wharf cleanup i tagged the jet on my pony...i don’t know why. Anyway, i saw a suspicious looking square shape under the muck, i went over and blasted it a few times with air. The cloud of silt was probably 10 meters square wide and angered other divers in the vicinity. However, i found a brand new case of Limited Edition Special Anniversery Tanqueray Gin. It hadn’t been in the water too long because later on the dock we found most of the case was good to go, so we sent for tonic and limes. Since then i have found gold necklaces...all kinds of gear and jewelery, coins (around wharfs) by cleaning out crevices that look like they would catch things dropping down overhead. Ponies have quite a few uses....heavy lift bags for example. I would suggest though that anything smaller than 19cf is not as adaptable and recommend that if you want a small tank to start get this and not a 13 cf.

there's no manufacter name on this part, just a patent #. But they are a standard part you can get anywhere, many diveshops have one. Here is a link:

<http://www.ketone.com/search_result...aramVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&iLevel=1>

scroll down this page to:
part number: sg99100
Category: air blow guns

price $5.55

also part number: SG99150

or check out <http://www.contractorstools.com/guardair.html>

or better yet ask you dive shop if they have one to sell...or what it'll cost to get one. But the one at ketone looks almost exactly like mine and is only $5.00

remember to never blow your pony empty...maybe put a gauge on it. If you are going to be doing a lot of cleaning of an area, get a 40cf or larger.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom