Pony bottle set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Three thoughts here.

1) The regulator is really the expensive part of a pony setup. You can buy the tanks new for around $130 or used on Craigslist for $60. So it's not that big a deal if you get the wrong size. Just keep an eye out and you'll spot a bigger or smaller one at the right price.

2) More air is always better, but if you get something too big you'll likely be tempted to leave it back in the car on easier dives. When you're out of air, even a SpareAir is better than the 80 cf stage bottle you didn't bring because it was too heavy.

3) If you get an integrated valve/first stage, then you won't be able to use it on anything else unless you drain the tanks first. If you use a standard regulator, then you can switch it between tanks at will. Something happens to your Mk17? Just pull the reg off your pony and use that instead. You start with a 13 cf bottle but then get a 40 cf? Just swap the reg depending on which bottle you use.

Thanks for the replies to all, I had considered and quickly dismissed the 40 CF setup before posting my question. It looks like that is the way to go.

So, using the 40 CF bottle, what reg setup would you guys recommend? It would be nice to have something that is interchangeable with my primary. But I really don't want to buy another MK17/A700 just for the bail out setup. What do you guys use for your bail out and/or stage bottles?

Why not get a Mk17/G250V? The A700 is the only thing that makes your primary really expensive. I use a Zeagle Envoy on my pony.

... what reg setup would you guys recommend? It would be nice to have something that is interchangeable with my primary. But I really don't want to buy another MK17/A700 just for the bail out setup. What do you guys use for your bail out and/or stage bottles?

I agree that being able to take the reg off your pony and use it on your main tank is nice. I used DIN for the pony and yoke for main tank, and sometimes I wish I didn't. Again you have to consider your diving. If cold water is in the plans that might be the most important consideration (you dont want a freeflow in an emergency). If its going to be used later for stage / deco then a nice breather would be more important than if its only for bail out and (hopefully) only used for practice. If you want a Sea Elite Tek X fairly cheap, I'm thinking of upgrading...

Thanks for the replies to all, I had considered and quickly dismissed the 40 CF setup before posting my question. It looks like that is the way to go.

So, using the 40 CF bottle, what reg setup would you guys recommend? It would be nice to have something that is interchangeable with my primary. But I really don't want to buy another MK17/A700 just for the bail out setup. What do you guys use for your bail out and/or stage bottles?

A simple, unbalanced piston is what a lot of folks use on their pony or stage. Cheap, bullet-proof, reliable, and breath just fine at recreational depths.

Me: I just use one of my spare regs (I happen to have balanced diaphragm regs, since I prefer them, and have "accumulated" 8 sets since I enjoy rebuilding them); I combine the balanced diaphragm 1st with an high quality unbalanced 2nd, and of course an spg... so my pony regs are way "overkill", but they are what I have, and were all less than $135 total (all were ebay regs I rebuilt).

RJP recommended buying a used reg as a pony / stage reg, and that is a good suggestion. You can often find a very decent, lightly-used reg on craigslist or ebay for <$100, have it serviced, and have a great pony reg for <$150 that will last for years.

Best wishes.

I bought a 13. I figure it's my biggest mistake yet in equipment purchases, and that is being said from someone on their third set of fins (Jets), second mask (Atomic frameless) and a BP/W (Halcyon Infinity) instead of my original BC.

A 19 is only a few inches longer (4" I think from memory) but gives about 50% more gas. When you do the calculations a 13 is probably sufficent size to come up from 120 feet, but also probably just enough and depending on circumstance maybe not enough, while a 19 is most likely more than enough. Having said all that I'd echo others who advise just start with a 40 and be done with it.

- I say 40 cuft for the pony
- If you get a 19 cuft and eventually get into tech, you may be able to convert that tank to argon and use it for dry suit inflation... So it wouldn't be a total waste.
- As far as regs are concerned, I know Dive Rite makes a pony bottle regulator set up with a primary, secondary, and a large pressure gage for easy pressure readings. It comes as a bundle for about $450.00.

Back
Top Bottom