Pony Bottle Mounting & Scubapro Tank Bands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi.

I'm finally going to do a pony bottle. I use a SS BP with an STA. I run two Scubapro hinge buckle/tank bands through the STA and the the bands are spaced about 8" apart. Can anyone recommend a mounting system that would work (and where to look to buy it)? I like things simple and solid.

I'm still deciding on a 19cf or 30cf pony bottle. I'm mainly a recreational diver and occasionally do some spear fishing. Nothing hard core. Any recommendations on bottle size would also be welcome. Would 19cf be enough?

Many thanks!

Mahjong

Zeagle Pony bands are the simplest and best hands down and fairly inexpensive and 19 is ok if that's what you want.

deadend:
Zeagle Pony bands are the simplest and best hands down and fairly inexpensive and 19 is ok if that's what you want.
Concur. The Zeagle pony bands are simple, easy to use and do the job nicely.

As to pony bottle size, there is only one way to answer that and that is by looking at your dive profiles. For any given depth/duration combination and taking into account your rate of air consumption, your pony bottle must allow you to complete the dive (including both mandatory and safety stops) at a safe rate of ascent in the event of your primary air chucking its hand in. And remember, Murphy's Law says that you'll lose your primary air at the worst possible time - immediately prior to starting your ascent.

When I retired my jacket and went to a BP, I found it very difficult to mount a 13cf pony between the SP bands using an Ultimate pony bracket. I had built the plate with enough room between the straps but it was ackward trying to get everything in place and fastened. So I went to a slug pony and found that to be superior in every way. And the needed HW should cost less than $20 including SS bolt snaps.

For basic OW diving, I believe my 13 is small but workable. I built an equalizer (crossover) hose so I can top it off between dives as necessary. The 19 would reduce the requirement to keep it topped of as much. 30 really seem excessive unless you want to be ready to not have direct access to the surface.

Should you decide the slung pony is not the answer for you, the bolt snaps will find other homes and you have less than $10 worth of SS hose clamp, rope, plastic tubing, and inner tube.

mahjong:
I like things simple and solid. Would 19cf be enough?
The best lessons are learned using OPM - other people's money. So here's a simple way to consider which tank is 'right' for you:

Borrow a 30 from someone else. Make sure its filled, and write down the starting psi. Clip it onto your harness and descend on your backgas to the recreational limit - 130'. Switch to the 30. Check your watch, and hang out there for 2 minutes. (This simulates whatever "oops" you managed to get yourself into, together with its accompanying clutching and groping.) Then ascend normally and include a 3 minute safety stop, then surface. Write down the ending psi number of the 30 at the surface, and subtract to find the amount of gas (in psi) you actually used. Recognize that if you were experiencing "an adventure", your rate of breathing might increase. So multiply that by, say, 1.5 to find the amount of gas (in psi) you might actually consume during an adventure...

Then consider what situations might put you on on a redundant tank down at 130', and ask yourself "if I suddenly had an adventure, which tank would I rather be reaching for to do my gas switch? The 19 or the 30?" Whichever tank you'd rather be reaching for is the right tank for you.

Nobody else on this board can really answer that question except you.

YMMV.

Thanks for all these suggestions.

Can anyone point me to a web site that explains how to sling a pony bottle (I assume this is what AWAP means by "slug pony")--using a BP/wing configuration and/or a Scubapro S-tek (or the like)?

Thanks again.

mahjong:
Thanks for all these suggestions.

Can anyone point me to a web site that explains how to sling a pony bottle (I assume this is what AWAP means by "slug pony")--using a BP/wing configuration and/or a Scubapro S-tek (or the like)?

Thanks again.

http://dir-diver.com/en/equipment/stagebottle_rigging.html

There are other sites that explain it, but I've found this one to be the easiest to follow.

To keep my 13cf pony close to my body, I made the top loop connection tight and used a smaller clip.

I like Doc Intrepid's method...
Personally, the minimum pony size I use is 30CF.
Personally, I sling it.
YMMV
Rick

I checked out the dir-diver web site--I think I can follow the instructions, even without earning another PhD. I must confess, however, that I am entirely new to pony bottles, so I am not even sure exactly where on my BP/harness to clip those boltsnaps or how exactly to use the handle underwater--the web site simply explains how to make the handle and install the boltsnaps. Is there another web site that follows through to the end?

Many thanks again!

mahjong:
I checked out the dir-diver web site--I think I can follow the instructions, even without earning another PhD. I must confess, however, that I am entirely new to pony bottles, so I am not even sure exactly where on my BP/harness to clip those boltsnaps or how exactly to use the handle underwater--the web site simply explains how to make the handle and install the boltsnaps. Is there another web site that follows through to the end?

Many thanks again!

Darn. I was hoping spelling didn't count :10:

I rig mine like ronrosa'a link. Upper snap goes to left chest D-ring. Lower snap goes to left hip D-ring. Handle is used out of water to carry and to hold as you clip upper snap. Lower snap may be hard to clip at first, then muscle memory will cut in. I guess you would also use the handle UW if you were to hand the pont off. LP hose gets tucked into the inner tube bands. I put a button gauge on mine. Regular SPG on 6" hose is popular. Some just use primary rig to check pressure befor dive and don't have any gauge on the pony first. I pressurize mine and then turn it back off. Occasionally repressurize it during the dive. Repressurizing it became 2nd nature so I put one of the old wing-nut style yoke nuts on the pony 1st so I wouldn't grab the wrong knob (again).

Back
Top Bottom